It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart U.S. leader expects 'serious' inflation

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   
To be accurate, the cost of consumer goods has been kept artificially low in the US for decades through price supports, subsidies, etc.

The cost of a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk should be at least twice what it currently is if we actually had a 'free market'.

In other words, it is the 'government' who has kept you used to artificially LOW prices. So don't complain when the prices start to rise if you are asking for 'less government'.

edit on 3-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
We do not shop at Walmart. However, I've noticed in JCPenney, where we get our basic clothes (shirts, shorts, pants) that the quality is actually a little better than it used to be. Yes, the price is a little higher this year as opposed to last year, but the $2-3 difference is well-worth it over settling for Wal-Mart clothes.

I also noticed this past week that coffee is beginning to soar. I could not believe the $15 sticker price for Colombian Maxwell House! I noticed many other types and brands were at least a third higher in price than they were the previous week. If coffee is any indication, I surmise foodstuff is going to significantly jump in price soon.
edit on 4/3/2011 by Nyiah because: Typo

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Maybe a sense of scale is in order?

Month / Date / Forecast Value
0/Feb 2011 / 2.16
1/Mar 2011 / 2.1
2/Apr 2011 / 2.3
3/May 2011 / 2.5
4 / Jun 2011 / 2.8
5 / Jul 2011 / 3.0
6 / Aug 2011 / 3.1
7 / Sep 2011 / 3.1
8 / Oct 2011 / 2.8
Updated Tuesday, March 22, 2011

forcecasts.org/inflation

About a 33% rise from the beginning of the year.
edit on 3-4-2011 by RSF77 because: clean up

posted on Apr, 3 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MedievalGhost

Originally posted by MedievalGhost
Is anyone starting to see rapidly increasing prices recently? What items are increasing in price? Also, is anyone seeing packaging getting smaller? This is a sneaky way for manufacturers to increase prices without many customers knowing about it.

Sure have.

A pound bag of potato chips now weighs 10 oz, it was 10.5 ounces last month and has decreased steadily from 16 ounces years ago.

Take a look at the box of facial tissue, ie Kleenex.
The sheets number remain the same but ther is about and inch and a half of space from side to side.

Ice cream used to come in half gallons, now it comes in 3 quart containers.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Sorry my friend but I am on s.s. broke my back and can't hardly do much.I worked 30 years as a driver,don't you think I'm entitled to some of the money I paid in?I could understand if I was a welfare mother or a junkie.

posted on Apr, 5 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I work for a Major food company, and they're reducing the size of all U.S. products by 13%,but still charging the same price.I have noticed other food products that I've purchased.have done the same.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
reply to post by gary714

Are you kidding me? People on government support want the already over burdened taxpayers to kick in even more money? Are you serious? It is just that entitlement mentality that makes me wish we had absolutely zero government subsidies for anybody. The economy is screwed, get used to it.

DHS and military contracts total this year could pay for 50 years worth of social services on the current budget. Stop picking on the little people over tiny amounts of money when it is the big guys who are snorting at the trough. I know its easier to beat up on little old ladies and welfare moms rather than go look to see where your money is actually going- something called 'doing research'.

Besides that, this thread is about inflation- and currently that is caused by the hedgefunders treating commodities like they did the Mortgage Market a little while ago. You know.. that thing that caused this economic devastation to free-fall starting in 2007?

That's right. The commodities market is now being bet on by the same folks who brought you the big crash the first go -round. Except this time they are doing it with petroleum - wheat- rice- corn -pork- etc etc. instead of real estate. All the things that go to make food and 'hard goods'.

If they continue with this like they did housing- pretty soon everyone will be starving to death and they will just start buying funeral homes.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds
To be accurate, the cost of consumer goods has been kept artificially low in the US for decades through price supports, subsidies, etc.

The cost of a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk should be at least twice what it currently is if we actually had a 'free market'.

In other words, it is the 'government' who has kept you used to artificially LOW prices. So don't complain when the prices start to rise if you are asking for 'less government'.

edit on 3-4-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

Yes that's true, if we actually had this gloriious 'free market' we could all eat and live like the average Bangladeshi. I am sure the Elite would be dancing and howling at the moon. But no democracy can survive the starvation and homelessness of it's people. They will revolt - and rarely does a revolt lead to more democracy.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join