It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Martyrs of Religion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
This is in no way a post to bring down anothers beliefs.....only to help in the realization that religion seperates us as a species.

Its impossible to understand the death and destruction that religion has brought to the world. Much as been covered up, yet you can still clearly see our past just by doing a little research. Many who have been considered Saints were beheaded, crucified, tortured and worse at the hands of TPTB of the times. This was a time where church and state were one and the same... and some would argue, nothing has changed.

Some examples of which are as follows:

St. Stephen

His death was occasioned by the faithful manner in which he preached the Gospel to the betrayers and murderers of Christ. To such a degree of madness were they excited, that they cast him out of the city and stoned him to death. The time when he suffered is generally supposed to have been at the passover which succeeded to that of our Lord's crucifixion, and to the era of his ascension, in the following spring.

Upon this a great persecution was raised against all who professed their belief in Christ as the Messiah, or as a prophet. We are immediately told by St. Luke, that "there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem;" and that "they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles."

About two thousand Christians, with Nicanor, one of the seven deacons, suffered martyrdom during the "persecution that arose about Stephen."

James the Great

according to St. Luke, in the History of the Apsotles' Acts, was James the son of Zebedee, the elder brother of John, and a relative of our Lord; for his mother Salome was cousin-german to the Virgin Mary. It was not until ten years after the death of Stephen that the second martyrdom took place; for no sooner had Herod Agrippa been appointed governor of Judea, than, with a view to ingratiate himself with them, he raised a sharp persecution against the Christians, and determined to make an effectual blow, by striking at their leaders. The account given us by an eminent primitive writer, Clemens Alexandrinus, ought not to be overlooked; that, as James was led to the place of martyrdom, his accuser was brought to repent of his conduct by the apostle's extraordinary courage and undauntedness, and fell down at his feet to request his pardon, professing himself a Christian, and resolving that James should not receive the crown of martyrdom alone. Hence they were both beheaded at the same time. Thus did the first apostolic martyr cheerfully and resolutely receive that cup, which he had told our Savior he was ready to drink. Timon and Parmenas suffered martyrdom about the same time; the one at Philippi, and the other in Macedonia. These events took place A.D. 44.

Philip

Was born at Bethsaida, in Galilee and was first called by the name of "disciple." He labored diligently in Upper Asia, and suffered martyrdom at Heliopolis, in Phrygia. He was scourged, thrown into prison, and afterwards crucified, A.D. 54

In total there is 22 chapters in this book...

I urge you to read what you can for informational purposes only, and hope that you will come to this realization...

Fox's Book of Martyrs

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Fox's Book of Martyrs is amazing. Many martyrs during the Inquisition of the Catholic Church went singing to the stake as they were burned.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Again we agree on something....

See we're not so far off in our beliefs

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Again we agree on something....

See we're not so far off in our beliefs

I am especially moved by Stephen's martyrdom. As well as Peter and Paul's. Peter wanted to be crucified upside down for he felt unworthy to be crucified in the same manner Christ was.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Hmm yes i noticed that... sounds very satanistic actually.

Im going to have to look into that a little deeper

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

No, not satanistic, Peter was simply being humble. He didn't feel worthy enough to die in the manner of his Lord and savior.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

No, not satanistic, Peter was simply being humble. He didn't feel worthy enough to die in the manner of his Lord and savior.

yup i just learned that myself actually...

the ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Who is being ignorant?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Akragon

Who is being ignorant?

wow you're quick to jump eh

not you my friend, satanists... though im not including all satanists in that statement. I've read some brilliant work from a few so called "satanists"

I was talking about the ones associated with popular media

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Agatha, a Sicilian lady, was not more remarkable for her personal and acquired endowments, than her piety; her beauty was such, that Quintian, governor of Sicily, became enamored of her, and made many attempts upon her chastity without success. In order to gratify his passions with the greater conveniency, he put the virtuous lady into the hands of Aphrodica, a very infamous and licentious woman. This wretch tried every artifice to win her to the desired prostitution; but found all her efforts were vain; for her chastity was impregnable, and she well knew that virtue alone could procure true happiness. Aphrodica acquainted Quintian with the inefficacy of her endeavors, who, enaged to be foiled in his designs, changed his lust into resentment. On her confessing that she was a Christian, he determined to gratify his revenge, as he could not his passion. Pursuant to his orders, she was scourged, burnt with red-hot irons, and torn with sharp hooks. Having borne these torments with admirable fortitude, she was next laid naked upon live coals, intermingled with glass, and then being carried back to prison, she there expired on February 5, 251.

Crazyness!!

top topics

join