It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 dead after infection outbreak in Ala. hospitals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

9 dead after infection outbreak in Ala. hospitals

today.msnbc.msn.com

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — Nine Alabama hospital patients who were treated with contaminated intravenous feeding bags have died and the maker has pulled the product off the market, state health officials said Tuesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Eeek!! This is scary..is this something that came from the donor or does it become contaminated another way? How did so many bags become contaminated? I've donated many many times but always assumed that once I donated it that it stayed in the same bag until it was needed?? Do they mix it all together by blood type? Sounds silly, I'm sure, but I don't know how it works.

today.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Negligence of the worse professional manner or terrorists.

Those are my first two thoughts, of course I tend to lean more towards the negligence, but learned to never rule out terrorist actions.

Too bad, can not imagine such a major screw up in my local hospitals, could you?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
"feeding bags " are not necessary blood, it could be glucose and other things to help after a surgery for example.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Funny, before reading SuperModerator's comment, I was wondering how long it might take for someone with a modicum of authority to state that this was a terrorist operation. And SM, I'm not meaning you (though I understand your powers are far and sweeping!).

I doubt we'll waste a perfectly good opportunity to hang something on some man in the shadows before we recognize what is becoming our national disorder named MeConsumeMeWantMeBetterNowEffEveryoneElse.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Common Zombie invasion....

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

Made in China

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Even when being manufactured in a 'clean room environment', it doesn't take much to contaminate the manufactured item. These feeding bags are manufactured by the millions and distributed through normal channels. They come in individually sealed and supposedly sterile container bags. It could be the anyone in the chain of use not being careful that cause this. It will probably be blamed on the company first because so many have perished. The track record of that company will make all the difference in the investigation.

ZIndo

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demetre

Eeek!! This is scary..is this something that came from the donor or does it become contaminated another way? How did so many bags become contaminated? I've donated many many times but always assumed that once I donated it that it stayed in the same bag until it was needed?? Do they mix it all together by blood type? Sounds silly, I'm sure, but I don't know how it works.

What are you talking about? Are we reading the same article? This says these are bags of nutrients. It doesnt appear to have anything to do with the blood supply or donation. Or did you accidently link to the wrong article?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This is either yet another sign of the collapse or a sign of the impending Idiocracy - but I guess it's all the same.

Corporations cutting costs and affecting safety or people just too stupid to care about quality and doing something right.

The world seems to have lost it's pride and sense of responsibility.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
its ridiculously easy to unintentionally contaminate something. even if a terrorist was at work, between the data on the lot numbers of the contaminated bags, at-the-source contamination will be easy to track back to his alias, which should provide links back to him/her

That being said, I'll bet someone ended up with a ripped glove or something that broke sterile.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Thats the problem with letting corporations run the world. Which in a sense is idiocracy.

They will always cut costs. If they can enslave people so labor is free, they will. Think that is an exaggeration? Its not.

I left business school not long after we learned in accounting that if it cost more to fix the ariplane, than to pay the insurance claims, you did not fix the airplane. In other words human life itself has no meaning, no value, other than as a "cost" to the corporations, and all the while they have been lobbying to infringe upon your right to sue at all, and lobbying for caps to awards if you do get to sue. Which ensures you will have more lost lives.

People just dont get it. They seem able to memorize slogans if they are repeated ad nauseaum on tv. Like "frivolous lawsuits" "unions are bad' "weapons of mass destruction" "yes we can" "drill baby drill" but apparently one you move out of strings of words more than 4-5 words long, you lose them.

The corporate form is evil. (five words I know its on the long side, but we really need to get a grip on whats happening in the world, or we are screwed)

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Nice bad ass avatar. Sorry back on topic.

Was it a glucose bag?

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Demetre

Everything gets mixed together all the time.

Why do you think there's a Dementia Pandemic? Or an HIV/AIDS pandemic? Or a diabetes pandemic? Or an arthritis pandemic? Or, or, or ...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
These fluids are supposed to be STERILE upon arrival. Isn't there any efficacy test that could be done before administering these? Can you imagine going to the ER being dehydrated from a moderate illness... just needing fluids... and you end up DEAD from contamination?

Ugh! And your donated blood isn't free to the hospitals, they pay $60+ a pint! Keep that in mind, I will never donate blood!

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I smell BS! sounds like another hospital is scrambling to cover another rash of mrsa and c-diff outbreaks. it is becoming too hard for them to hide anymore, although the government is trying it's hardest to assist them.

state after state has been taken to task on it, only to have politicians side with not wanting to hurt hospitals reps and business. blaming this product will provide a nice lawsuit outlet for the grieving parties.

trust me, my family has spent last couple years heavily pursuing this "infection" issue after a family member contracted it and died, all while lying to us, then writing it as lung cancer. a large vocal group in nevada was able to get the stroy to break the ice in the local las vegas sun, but the state just refused to blow the lid on this.

I can/will/should make quite a lengthy thread on the negligence I saw take place.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Hmmm....kind of sounds similar to the issue I posted

Contaminated alcohol wipes
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
C-Diff is still around?

also wanted to post right after the other couple of "fans"

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

such a rare forum "alignment" happens once every 3600 years!!! if one more "fan" post in this thread, it might trigger a pole shift.

posted on Mar, 30 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
No terrorism, I vote idiocracy.

Someone, either at the manufacturing plant or within the hospital, was too distracting doing something else and let the bags get contaminated. Now the hospital and manufacture are going to have 9 deaths on their hands, not to mention the legal action the families are going to take.

new topics

top topics

join