It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heartless Celebrity Snubs Kid With Cancer

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
While I do agree that it shouldnt be a strangers job to fulfill a persons dying wish, when you are a celebrity, different rules apply. Celebrities make their living from the public, therefore they have responsibilties to the public. I can imagine the paparazzi, autograph seekers, and little annoying dying children(sarcasm) do get rather tiresome. But you cant have the money and fame without owing the fans who gave it to you in the first place. I would be completely humbled if someone's last wish before they died was just to meet me. But then again, I'm not a self absorbed douchebag.

It also worries me that so many agreed with her blowing the kid off, sure she shouldn't feel like she has too do it nor should she be guilted or essentially blackmailed into it. She should do it simply because its a nice thing to do. But people don't think that way any more, only if its convenient or profitable.

This story is a microcosm of what is wrong with the world today.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

Well, I have to admit, I have no idea how anybody can think otherwise. Perhaps my values of personal responsiblity and accountability are out-dated?

Perhaps celebrities really are as powerful as the MSM makes them out to be, and perhaps the most important person in the world to a dying child is some fictional character on a TV screen? Perhaps the parents are perfectly justified in expecting somebody they never met in their lives to break away from their own life, fly across the country, and visit their child for no other reason than being asked? Perhaps every child should request the Pope visit them and perform a miracle to save their life, and if he doesn't do so, then it means there is no God?

Come on, really?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Phantom28804

I disagree. The kid with cancer is sad, but why is it some stranger's responsibility to comply with the wish? In my opinion, the whole Make-a-Wish foundation is stupid. Why not put all that time, money, energy, and fame into actually making a difference instead of doing some photo-op and autograph session.

If my kid gets Cancer, and I get a hold of Michael Jordan or Lady GaGa, it will be for some research money, not for some stupid autograph.

I say Kudos for having the cahones to say no to a stupid request.

The only thing I find "stupid" about a dying kid wanting an autograph of someone, is that someone who's only qualification is they are considered some kind of "star" and is hardly worth the label. I would consider people a star like those who fight cancer, other illness, care for others, quietly visit our wounded military and others, no notice no press release. Don't tip media so they see such "unblemished caring for the poor children". Hey gang they make me sick, so much worse then some medical problems I deal with. I take a pill so I don't toss my guts out, and it usually works for a while, but to prevent some-one from turning my stomach? The self important addicts of adoration? I need a lot more then a pill... Take care kid.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Yea that was something I noticed after re-reading the article which does make a bit of a difference. Also what the G1 said about the not being able to handle it part, and of course getreadyalready's thoughts about wanting to spend more time with your family and supplementing salaries. There are all good points that I admit never crossed my mind when I initially read the article and posted this thread.

edit on 3/29/2011 by Phantom28804 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Well, I have to admit, I have no idea how anybody can think otherwise. Perhaps my values of personal responsiblity and accountability are out-dated?

Perhaps celebrities really are as powerful as the MSM makes them out to be, and perhaps the most important person in the world to a dying child is some fictional character on a TV screen? Perhaps the parents are perfectly justified in expecting somebody they never met in their lives to break away from their own life, fly across the country, and visit their child for no other reason than being asked? Perhaps every child should request the Pope visit them and perform a miracle to save their life, and if he doesn't do so, then it means there is no God?

Come on, really?

Nice strawman and slippery slope... but I didn't say anything about personal responsibility or Accountability, nor did I mention anything about Celebrities being obligated to do anything.

You criticized the kid's family for making the request public and defended the celebrity for not granting the wish of a child with cancer. THAT is what I said is warped my friend.

Like I said the Celebrity has a right to say no. I personally wouldn't but I don't judge her for it, but her fans also have a right to know she is the kind of person who refuses a request from a kid with cancer because she is too busy trying to sell books.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Perhaps it was not her that snubbed the request?

Maybe it was a greedy choice made by her team who read emails and decide if she needs to receive it.

This is part of the reason people become famous, it is part of what you do as a celebrity.

Blessings to this precious child.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I agree. The same things that are mentioned in the media that make her a star, is fair to announce what would seem to the eye of a fan as something appalling. Its the price of "show business".

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Fair enough that if her fans made her famous, then her fans have a right to know her decisions on something like this.

Personally, I could never imagine making the request public in the first place, and I certainly couldn't imagine publicly ridiculing the person for choosing not to honor my request. I suppose my hostility on the whole matter is more of a hostility toward the whole pop-culture than it is toward this specific family or this specific celebrity.

I also do not claim to be a super-parent. My kids are only 3 and 4 years old, so I haven't had to compete with peer pressure yet. I hope my kids are not heavily influenced by pop-culture or icon worship, but I don't know yet if my approach is going to work. I know my 4 year old is especially influenced by every commercial on the TV set, and he thinks we absolutely have to have everything the commercials tell him we need. BUT, he is also slowly learning that Dada isn't on board with that!

I admire those personalities in sports and show business that are willing to be themselves and speak their mind. I have made my political viewpoint known as much as possible......I would rather vote for a political leader that would go against me based on their own moral code and conviction instead of a fair-weather politician that will change their outlook based on the political climate and polls of the day.

I admire strong leadership, strong convictions, and directness in celebrities, politicians, and idols, even if I disagree with their decisions. As others have said, I would personally be honored to fulfill someone's last request, but I still admire anyone with the conviction and confidence to say no, regardless of the backlash.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
At least this kid found out at an early age that looking up to phony self-important people is not the way to go. He should be thankful for learning this very valuable lesson, instead of having the charade perpetuated.

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree with you. I think celebrity worship is another manufactured destraction by the PTB to keep us from waking up. Ditto with Sports.

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses

-Juvenal, Satire 10.77–81

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join