It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep-Sea Volcanoes Don't Just Produce Lava Flows, They Also Explode

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Source

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6147a79c5913.jpg[/atsimg]

Between 75 and 80 per cent of all volcanic activity on Earth takes place at deep-sea, mid-ocean ridges. Most of these volcanoes produce effusive lava flows rather than explosive eruptions, both because the levels of magmatic gas (which fuel the explosions and are made up of a variety of components, including, most importantly CO2) tend to be low, and because the volcanoes are under a lot of pressure from the surrounding water.

Over about the last 10 years however, geologists have nevertheless speculated, based on the presence of volcanic ash in certain sites, that explosive eruptions can also occur in deep-sea volcanoes.

But no one has been able to prove it until now.

This is pretty interesting stuff here. The majority of volcanic activity takes place down there and to think of the size of explosions, wow.

I wonder if maybe, an underwater explosion had something to do with the famous "bloop"?

Any thoughts?

Pred...

ETA: was going to add about how cool the picture was. Beautiful!
edit on 28-3-2011 by predator0187 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Nice find, its pretty amazing how little we know about our oceans when so much more is done researching the land. Maybe theres a few diamonds on the sea floor from these explosions too.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Nice find!

This is one part of the carbon cycle that the actuarial tables don't include... I wonder how much do we charge mother nature for inflating our carbon tax?

Seriously though; I was often amazed at how many people don't recognize the mid Atlantic ridges as the largest mountain chain on Earth; but even I didn't realize that it was the largest volcanic system too!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
It is said that the undersea volcanoes are expected to go off majorly as part of beginning the glaciation cycle, and that there are a lot more of them then was first thought.
and the time might be soon...

www.iceagenow.com...

PS
funny enough Piers Corbin might be saying the same thing
edit on 28-3-2011 by Danbones because: PS

top topics

join