It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comic Books: The Voice of the NWO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Now this may shock some people, but comic books aren't just for kids. Stories like the Watchmen and Sandman have been heralded and won awards that normally only real literature gets. However what troubles me is some of the sym bols used in comic books. Take the Watchmen for example

That story is how a group of rich people fake an alien invasion that kills most of new york and unites the world under one banner

The League of Extordinary Gentlemen is filled with masonic symbols

A recent story in X-Men that was named Planet X was about how Magneto was going to use his magnetic powers to flip the earth's magnetic poles and bring about a new age

Those are just a few examples... its really kind of shocking once you start thinking about it....

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I agree that there is a lot of NWO/Masonic references in comic books; but I find most of it to be of an anti- rather than pro- nature.

Alan Moore, who wrote Watchmen & LXG, is far from being pro-Masonry. In his graphic novel From Hell he basically blames the Jack the Ripper murders on a grand Masonic conspiracy. Watchmen is definitely about NWO (and now that you've mentioned it, I feel like digging out my copy and reading it again), but it is a warning, not a glorification.

I don't know if Magneto's nefarious machinations can qualify as a true NWO scenario, because he's part of a persecuted minority: mutants. I think the analogy of Magneto-as-terrorist would be more apt. Characters that would truly be proponents of the NWO would be like the Red Skull and Lex Luthor, I imagine. The Ultimates line at Marvel, especially Ultimate Avengers, seems to be about NWO, as is the Supreme Power miniseries. The Authority features a superpowered group that is probably the most ambiguous in terms of whether they are pro- or against- the NWO--though considering the political views of its author I would hazard to guess that this is designed to make people think and question "the authority."

Anyway, interesting topic for a post

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Ya, it just hit me while I was showering,

but good points tho, Alan Moore is not pro NWO and I don't think most comic books are

But, something about the watchmen makes me think its pro NWO, because the destruction of New York brings about world peace, just like how the NWO would want it to work. Even though the rest of Moores works are anti-NWO the watchmen just stands out differently...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I also agree that it is anti-NWO. I mean if your a hardcore comic fan i'm sure you have read Wizard magazine, they show picutures and interviews with artists and writers all the time. 90% of them are just normal geeky guys like me that like comics. The reason why there are lots of examples of NWO, secret societies, and other things, is the fact that these new generation of comic readers want more serious and grown up topics to read about in there mags.
Granted there are still campy happy comics, but the top sellers are serious, and if thats whats selling then the companies will make more of that type of comic.
Dark horse comics used to be known for their violent,dark and gritty comics so alot f the older crowd would read them. Soon after Batman got darker story lines over at DC, and now marvel as fallows suit with its Marvels,Ultimates,and Earth x books. Granted this didnt happen over night but over the last couple of years comics have just evolved.

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Xayden]

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lockheed
Ya, it just hit me while I was showering,

but good points tho, Alan Moore is not pro NWO and I don't think most comic books are

But, something about the watchmen makes me think its pro NWO, because the destruction of New York brings about world peace, just like how the NWO would want it to work. Even though the rest of Moores works are anti-NWO the watchmen just stands out differently...

You're right, it is a very amoral ending...at the time I first read it, I was pretty shocked. While Moore is anti-NWO, he also is a bit of a cynic...

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I was just reviewing some Watchmen stuff, and happened to find this!

(Quite odd really)

In the R.A.T.S form we are discussing some stuff about Bohemian Grove and the owl there is named Moloch

Sound familiar?

Guess what the name of our owl man in the watchmen is?!?!?

MOLOCH!

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:15 PM
link   
There's an old saying that writers write what they know.

This is true and most writers in the comic book industry are passionate about science fiction, paranormal, conspiracies, nwo the list goes on.

Since this is what they know it's easy for them to work themes into their writing, but the motivation most likely comes from "Hey this is cool" rather than "I'm sending the reader a secret message".

Spiderj

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Read the Vertigo title 100 Bullets. 'Tis a great read, up to #51, ends at #100, I believe.

Related subject manner.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I see the point your trying to make lockheed...but look at the more rational side. Moloch is just a cool name, i mean it was even used in Mortal Kombat 5 as a bosses name. here...

A divinity worshipped by the idolatrous Israelites. The Hebrew pointing Molech does not represent the original pronunciation of the name, any more than the Greek vocalization Moloch found in the LXX and in the Acts (vii, 43). The primitive title of this god was very probably Melech, "king", the consonants of which came to be combined through derision with the vowels of the word Bosheth, "shame". As the word Moloch (A.V. Molech) means king, it is difficult in several places of the Old Testament to determine whether it should be considered as the proper name of a deity or as a simple appellative. www.newadvent.org...
The sci fi gurus like us, and found a cool name that fits.

Though who am I to argue with the master of cosmic awareness?

Spelling, sorry been drinking a little.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Sadly, the master of cosmic awareness is no more.

Let me digress for no real reason,

My ATS name Lockheed, is derived from the pet of a character in a comic book, Kitty Pryde. I enjoyed the Excalibur series growing up and and Lockheed, Kitties pet dragon was my favorite character, closely followed by Nightcrawler.

The name Master of Cosmic Awareness is derived from the series Captain Marvel which lasted 60 issues and ended this very week. I am in tears as you can see. It was a most excellent series that dealt with the ramifications of knowing everything and it driving someone crazy... um ok enough of my history

(I'm gonna add all that to my profile now!)
Actually, lets sum this thread up cuz, dammit, it isn't gonna go anywhere, I believe that the people that write comic books are just as nutty about conspiracies, ancient civs, secret societes, etc... as we are. So they incorporate those things into their writing to because they like it and we, who read their stuff like it. So most likely any coincidences b/w NWO stuff and comic book stuff is arrived at because of that.

[edit on 7/23/2004 by lockheed]

[edit on 7/23/2004 by lockheed]

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
...this is totally true, as in the OP... was in a shoppe today, saw an 'Illuminati' comic that was within a popular series and the 'NWO' itself is coming out next year.

When I collected as a child, I noticed war themes and superheros laced throughout, there was even terrorism introduced in the 70s in comix.

There are a lot today that seem to support war at-large and terrorism in a "war on" sense throughout the mainstream (Marvel, DC) titles. Whereas, indy publishers still have the artistic, creative vibe throughout w/ various topics. Not that the mainstream titles don't have good art, they've just been taken over by capitalism, where each page has less and less substance, plus there's more ads today.

An interesting title, (conspiracy related? I don't know, I don't follow the series) is DC's '52' which follows a year on a parallel universe/Earth, borrowing from the 60/70s series' 'Crisis on Infinite/Multiple Earths' which has an obviously, pretty wild storyline... I guess it is conspiratorial related, since a 'finale' deals w/ a superhero/Earth WW3.

I don't like the 'secret societies' and NWO Nazis leaking into the comix world, totally brainwashin' the kids.... plus, that forthcoming 'NWO' title borrows many conspiracy angles, we'll see should they even mention its' origin.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
watchmen, the invisibles, and most of all, the filth. some of the best conspiracy related comics of all time. Emphasis on "the filth." The illustrations are by far the best of all 3, the invisibles has a pretty wide array of references, and the watchmen is a classic.

even older comic characters are surrounded in conspiracy "facts." Look at the Red Skull, Captain America's arch enemy.. he had some pretty serious backstories involving Nazi occultism.

posted on Nov, 30 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

I'll check out some of those titles mentioned, only know Watchmen & the Cap... I hear you on the latter, Cap v Red Skull has been quite a storyline since the 40s, the original CA, 'Steve Rogers' was actually killed this year, which was a shakeup in the comix world... I hear Batman will be next, next year.

Comics are a great art form, it's too bad the industry is weighed down by 'filler' in 'offshoots' and a seemingly endless parade of new titles that aren't that good.

This book, Omega, the Unknown is being revisited now, (in its 2nd of 10 issues, Marvel) w/ J Lethem, doing work for it, he's pretty popular in the sci-fi world... there's humanoids mixed in on Earth, some obviously showing 'superhuman' powers and others are learning about theirs, it's really well-done so far.

top topics

join