It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pulling the plug on the powers that be,,(devices consume electricity in stand by mode)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It IS a conspiracy to get us to waste power .... and get US to pay for it...

One definition of standby is the power draw of an appliance in its lowest power mode. For appliances with a power switch, we measure the power draw while the unit is "off". For appliances without a power switch, such as cordless telephones, answering machines, and battery chargers, power draw is measured while the units are plugged in, but are not being used by the consumer.
Many small appliances made today continue to draw power, even when they are switched off. Nearly 20 percent of the electricity used by appliances is lost while they are sitting in the standby mode, waiting to be used.
Some appliances' main function, particularly those involving communications, must be performed at all times. For example, network hubs continuously transfer data from one part of a computer network to another. In this case, we measure the power draw of the appliance while it is not connected to the network. This ensures that the unit is in its lowest power mode.

graph here
www.cryer.co.uk...

the Following is a table of the electricity leaking from selected electronic consumer appliances, prepared for Science News Online by Jennifer Thorne and Margaret Suozzo of the Washington, D.C.-based American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy. The reported figures present only a portion of the whole picture--even for just the residential sector.
www.sciencenews.org...

So what can be done about the “electronic vampires” that are needlessly consuming so much power? Alas, there is little scope for reducing the inefficiency of existing household appliances, such as microwave ovens—other than switching them off at the mains or unplugging them when not in use, of course. Modifying them to reduce their power consumption is, in most cases, impractical.

reducing unnecessary power consumption is not just a matter for device-makers and regulators, Consumers can do their bit too, by unplugging infrequently used devices or switching them off at the mains; looking for energy-efficiency logos and modern, efficient power supplies when buying new equipment; and unplugging chargers and power supplies when they are not in use. Even these simple measures are better than just standing idly by.

some things i wont do without.. love my PC in stand-by mode,, Waiting for me..

my aquarium may be costing me more to run each month, than our refrigerator!"

hope this educates anyone,, not in the choir...!!

pulling the plug on the powers that ARE sucking us dry --and we will all BE better off...

D

edit on 3/27/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

edit on 3/27/11 by darrman because: add a line

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
surprising
good info a++ I am going to read more into it since i have a ton of devices that are always on standby

PS3 + tv + sound system + media player + laptops

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

the word should get out...
please tell your friends--

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

good info

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Being a retired industrial electrician i have started to rewire my home with special outlets just for leaching systems.

They have power switches to turn off the systems when not in use.

Plus a timer that can warm up the circuit in the morning just before i get up.

This would have been very easy to build into new construction but takes a little longer to retrofit into a older home.

I am also building a UPS system into the plugs for my computer and emergency lighting to cover power outages.

The batteries for this system will in the future be charged by solar to cut cost even more.

What i would like to see is more power strips and outlets with remote controls that allow you to turn of the power with a remote control unit like a TV remote.

A lot of people have things that leach power but the plugs are behind furniture or tables ECT that makes the plug unreachable.
Having a remote control unit that controls a number of outlets that you can push a button on and shut the power down or turn it back on would be a big help and putting a timer on the remote would even be better.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Ive always wondered about this! star n flag.

its amazing smaller things can leech so much electricty..like an electric toothbrush compared to a tv..the toothbrush milks it! wow.
do we play for this leakage, when electric bill comes? or no? you know, part of the money owed on the bill?

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

great post..

timers good idea!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
A friend on mine has a big screen plasma TV. We put a watt meter on it and found out it pulls 2 MORE watts when switched OFF than it does when switched ON. How about that?

posted on May, 1 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Holy Cow!!

would you give us the Brand //model..?

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

every now and then i look to see how my old threads "did"

Surprising how little Respect this thread received..

just sayin

darrman

posted on Jan, 13 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Hows about some creative,Non-Greedy Businessperson (like such an animal actually exists),come up with an insurance policy that extracts your wealth comensurate with your driving frequency,like if you don't drive this month,you pay a simple small fee to keep your policy active.

Bout the same as having a plug-bar on your entertainment center and everything,just turn the whole shebang off when you walk out the door.

Wasn't there some talk about the definition of terrorism being the intentional interruption of commerce?.

Be careful,remember what happened to Socrates.

new topics

top topics

join