It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Wanna Weiner Waiver

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Last year, New York Rep. Anthony Weiner took personal ownership of the magnificent health care law, even to the point of proclaiming “the bill and I are one” like a monk trying to attain enlightenment using nothing but willpower and a trillion dollars of other people’s money. In short, Anthony Weiner loves the health care bill.

It’s just that… well… it might not be right for his district:

Rep. Anthony Weiner said Wednesday he was looking into how a health law waiver might work for New York City.

Weiner, who is likely to run for mayor of New York, said that because of the city’s special health care infrastructure, his office was looking into alternatives that might make more sense. Weiner is one of the health care law’s biggest supporters; during the debate leading up to reform, he was one of the last holdouts in Congress for the public option.

www.freerepublic.com...

This just keeps getting better and better. Now, people who actually WROTE the healthcare bill don't want it for themselves. Defend this nightmare all you want folks, but when people who PUSHED for it don't want it, you're gonna be finding yourselves all alone.

Small note, I also just got a huge kick out of the title of this thread. Sorry. But I found it funny.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
You don't understand what the waiver is for, do you?

Please, explain to me what the waiver Rep. Weiner is seeking. Your own words.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
It's just amazing the number of enthusiastic supporters of this farce of a law do not want to or will not be covered by it themselves. If it was such a fantastic law I'd figure they'd be the first ones in line to sign up, but no!

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
You don't understand what the waiver is for, do you?

Please, explain to me what the waiver Rep. Weiner is seeking. Your own words.

From the same article.

“The president said, ‘If you have better ideas that can accomplish the same thing, go for it,’” said Weiner. “I’m in the process now of trying to see if we can take [President Barack Obama] up on it in the city of New York, … and I’m taking a look at all of the money we spend in Medicaid and Medicare and maybe New York City can come up with a better plan.” [...] “We in New York already have hospitals, we already employ doctors and we employ nurses. We have a lot of uninsured people. … [Setting up] the exchanges is the one piece of the puzzle that would be difficult for us to do,” he said. “I’m just looking internally to whether the city can save money and have more control over its own destiny.”

Now defend it.
In your own words of course.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

I find it fascinating that many of those that have received waivers are unions.
Obamacare is a dud.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I thought he'd been publicly waving his weiner like so many other politicians these days.

My bad

ganjoa

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
From the OP source:

"“I’m just looking internally to whether the city can save money and have more control over its own destiny.”

Now that is just wrong! How can he even suggest it is acceptable to take into account the saving of tax money, when trying to find a solution to the health care woes? That's just being greedy and heartless.

What is he wanting New Yorkers to do, "just die'? Is that Weiner's health care plan for New Yorkers?

And, he even wrote the health care bill (according to his own words). The elitists claimed health care was not a States' right, but due to the interstate Commerce Clause, fell under the purview of the Fed. So, if it is not a States' right, how can it be a City's right?

I don't care what the waivers entail, if they permit an opt-out of even one aspect of the "law", the whole thing should be thrown into the garbage. The only thing it has accomplished was to increase my premiums, by about 70%. What if I don't want to play Washington's stupid games? Where is my waiver?

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
S&F Just for your thread title!!

The hypocrisy coming from those who stumped long and hard for Nobama care is utterly amazing. Seeing Mr. Weener looking for his get out of jail free card is just priceless.

I amazed at how silent all of the obamacare reality threads rapidly become nowadays. Reality bites big around here!!!

I choose reality!!!!
Cheers!!:
edit on 27-3-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

What most have come to realize is that Obamacare cannot be defended anymore. Ironically enough, they can't even use the rgument of it saving lives because of the rationing WE SEE NOW, as Obamacare and government control of healthcare come to the fore.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Since you still don't understand the concept of the waivers, in my own words without having to quote some news article:

The waiver he's seeking exempts the city from participating in the national exchange because the city will have insured it's entire population. Just as the entire state of Maine is exempted because it's on its way to have a single payer state system, that's right, socialized medicine...the entire state of Maine will soon be capable of having a single payer health care system, thereby allowing it to have a waiver in the need of using the national exchange the dreaded 'ObamaCare' established.

The waivers being granted are because business' or local areas/states are establishing a BETTER system themselves by lowering costs and having everyone insured.

If you want a waiver yourself then get your state/business to better fund its own health care system so that everyone is covered by it. That's what the waivers are for, so people can have better insurance than they had before or since the law was passed.

The Affordable Care Act set minimum standards, if you exceed those, you get a waiver. It's not that hard to grasp.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yay, more union-bashing from the brainwashed masses!

Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that Obamacare is the work of the devil, that Obama is Maitreya and he was born in Kenya.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Like they would..

Oh right, they were doing that last year weren't they?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

I find it somewhat ironic that ONLY conservatives are brainwashed. While enlightened progressives are never wrong.
Cute

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
The Affordable Care Act set minimum standards, if you exceed those, you get a waiver. It's not that hard to grasp.

Except that, at least from what I've read in the actual bill, the only entities eligible for waivers are the States and there are very specific guidelines that must be met and documented, prior to receiving the waiver.

SEC. 1332. WAIVER FOR STATE INNOVATION
(1) IN GENERAL.—A State may apply to the Secretary for the waiver of all or any requirements described in paragraph (2) with respect to health insurance coverage within that State for plan years beginning on or after January 1, 2017.
democrats.senate.gov...

No mention of cities. No mention of businesses or corporations.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I do find it difficult to believe that
you can opt out of Obamacare by converting
to Islam. Is this not US Law bending to
accommodate Sharia Law???

I thought according to our constitution
that all men were created equal
despite religion ???

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by WTFover

Very good digging! PDF of the actual law (WARNING 2.5MB PDF) mentions waivers numerous times throughout the bill.

However, the secretary of Health and Human Services grants these temporary waivers under various conditions as mentioned here (another PDF).

More information on and a full listing of entities granted these temporary waivers can be found here.

The waivers are generally for financial reasons (if entity A implements policy B from the law people lose insurance, waiver granted), the mandate doesn't take effect until 2014 and the waivers appear to be allowed only until 2017.

Waivers don't exempt you from the entire law, if you have insurance now then you have nothing to worry about and no need to desire a waiver.

top topics

join