It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If we do not suppress the Detroit vote,

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
we're going to have a tough time in this election." says State Rep. John Pappageorge, R-Troy. Detroit Free Press (AP)

I would go further and say if they don't supress the American vote, they are going to have a tough time. If you are a fan of democracy, please keep an eye on your states politicians. If voting didn't matter, politicians wouldn't go through so much trouble to deny you your right.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
If voting didn't matter, politicians wouldn't go through so much trouble to deny you your right.

I agree.

Add this to the Diebold executive who promissed to deliver his state to republicans and to the shenanigans going on in Florida again, and it looks like there is a concerted effort amongs certain people.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
That is so sad, but it takes me to the conclusion that the Republicans smell the outcome of this election to be not of their liking.

When bush decided against the NAACP and did not attended their convention he bought himself a lot of negative votes from the African American communities.

What a shame I think this year not amount of vote suppression is going to keep the people of Detroit or any other state out of the voting precincts.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Seeing as how I live about 5 minutes from Detroit- I can tell you that from the attitudes of the general region of the state- I don't think it is really a race issue he was referring to.

In this area you can refuse to let someone cut in a line and they will call you a racist because they are sure if they were white you would have let them- it's happened to me.

There are good, upstanding citizens living in Detroit. BUT- what the city is suffering from is the stereotype that unfortunately too many of the people DO live up to- there are too many people living lives of crime and spending their days watching tv collecting welfare and unemployment.
Too many people in this area see those two emergency support systems as their god-given right. This is what you easily see on the surface when you visit the city.
I am trying to say this without being mean, but this is my honest experience. I work for a company that every time we hire a Detroit citizen inevitably he gets fired for coming to work high or drunk- then spends the next 6 quarters collecting unemployment from us until the state refuses to pay him any more. (four separate cases and the only people who have done that)

So from this perspective, people like that are going to vote for the politicians that feel sympathy for them and want to keep around these programs that use honest citizen's money to support dead beat alcoholics. That is not the GOP.

I am not insulting the good citizens of Detroit, just making a point to the people who don't know the area.

new topics

top topics

join