It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation in seawater off nuclear plant spikes to 1,250 times normal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Tokyo (CNN) -- Tests showed a sharp spike in levels of radioactive iodine in seawater just offshore of the embattled Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant are more than 1,250 times higher than normal, Japan's nuclear and industrial safety agency said Saturday.
edition.cnn.com...

First it is the atmosphere now it is the oceans not looking good for Japan and the rest of us either.
How does radiation behave once it enters the oceans? Does it dissipate?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Once the radiation is in the sea, it becomes part of the water cycle. The radiation in the sea will effect the food supply(fish) and since the radiation is in there, the rain will have radiation which will come down on the crops. It is a very dire situation for sure. There are going to be radiation problems for a long time out there.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I understand the Japanese eat more fish than most other nations.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by colin42

Yes they are. factsanddetails.com...
Also their fishing industry is a 14 billion dollar one. It is a safe bet that no one is going to want to import fish from japan any time soon. This is going to have a huge economic effect on them.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
This is getting worse by the day but the truth will win out eventually - when it's too late for many.

This article says it all
www.activistpost.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

Being English I associates fish with chips. What will be the knock on for in the chip industry when Japan manufacures 25% of the world market.

It just begs the question. Just how cheap is nuclear power?

Worries about radiation levels in the USA is the least of their problems. The world will soon be counting the cost of this disaster in many ways.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The LA Times is now running this story. www.latimes.com...

The Iodine:131 isotope has an 8 day half life. If you can avoid the contaminated area for several weeks then most of that radioiodine will be harmless. Until then it is a cancer danger.

edit on 26-3-2011 by wayouttheredude because: dyslexic

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
There is so much going on with this situation yet I believe there is a cover up by the Japanese government to avoid a panic. I almost feel that their government is in denial as to the severity of the crises so they are being slow to take any action. They just should entomb those reactors because this is not just their crises it effects the whole planet.

Since the bp spill I have had the bad feeling that nobody gives a damn about the planet if it comes before profit,
I feel that the only fitting analogy for this is the story of Nero playing a fiddle as he watches Rome burn

new topics

top topics

join