It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea's food stocks running dry, UN warns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

North Korea's food stocks running dry, UN warns

www.telegraph.co.uk

North Korea's government food distribution program will run dry in May and put one-quarter of the country's 24 million people at risk of starvation, the United Nations has warned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Looks like desperation that could be used towards someone else's advantage. I had always assumed North Korea sustained itself moderately well.

I guess the entire world is going through hard times. With all the earthquakes, attacks, and starvation. Each event becoming exponentially frequent. The groundwork is REALLY set for the N.W.O. to take over the show. If they haven't already.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
It is never the descent ordinary people who survive these types of challenges, the elite may be trying to downsize even in NK. Do you suppose that they had trade with Japan for food? What could have changed so drastically?

Farming, farming and more farming, they could put in enough hoop houses to feed every person in their country, do you think they somehow were given GMOs and they have lost the ability to store seed year after year?

I too thought that NK was self sufficient.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by baked

I guess the entire world is going through hard times. With all the earthquakes, attacks, and starvation. Each event becoming exponentially frequent. The groundwork is REALLY set for the N.W.O. to take over the show. If they haven't already.

Yes it is... But here is the thing. Earthquakes( And other natural disaster), war and starvation have existed as long as humans have been on this earth...( Natural disasters even longer).... So what makes you think some N.W.O is the cause of all these things?

The N.W.O controls earthquakes? Something has been happening since before humans even existed? So, you are suggesting the N.W.O has been in the works since before Man kind existed??? Or.... What?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
NK self sufficient LOL,

China was giving them food but

China suspended key rail freight services into North Korea last week after 1,800 wagons carrying food aid and tradeable goods crossed into Kim Jong-il’s hermit state but were never returned!

North Korea has relied on foreign assistance to feed its 23 million people for more than a decade since natural disasters and mismanagement devastated the country's economy in the mid-1990s.

www.asianoffbeat.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by baked

let there buddy china help them out. Or the people can revolt any option is a win win.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Well this means they'll lob some shells on the south side probably.
Kim will through a tantrum & get whatever he wants.

Isn't this business as usual?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by don rumsfeld

Japan has always been fond of the koreans , which is demonstrated by how many Koreans liv ein Japan today, perhaps the radioactive crops can be sold at cost to the starving Koreans?
It would be in keeping perhaps with history?

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

All I am saying is that the world is getting desperate for change. That's all they need to move forward. Easy man.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by baked
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

All I am saying is that the world is getting desperate for change. That's all they need to move forward. Easy man.

You may be right. This will be something to watch.
The people may finally break & take to the streets. We've heard the military has
gone without food & didn't a NK pilot defect to Russia? Perhaps the military
will be on the side of the people.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
China and North Korea should have protested George Bush declaring the Marianas Trench portion of the Pacific Ocean a US National Marine Park....keeping foreign countries from having fishing access to there.

China and North Korea are losing capability to get food from the sea. A certain middle eastern Prince came up with a plan for a Pacific Tuna Cartel...he's working with small island nations in the Pacific to get it created...to keep China and Asia from "getting their fair share" of the sea life..

We're going to see a war over fish soon.....or Asia's going to starve to death.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
First thing that came to mind when I saw this was, "Nato should step in and start bombing something so we can free those oppressed people."

If they are truly running out of food there are probably several countries that see eye to eye with their policies that can help them.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I thout they have been dry for years, and that only some of the people in the Capitol got RFID and the rest of the country was out of luck.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Hs china compeletely turned their back on NK?

I just don't understand that relationship

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Hs china compeletely turned their back on NK?

I just don't understand that relationship

It's like an older brother (China) that has a little bit more sense and is able to take care of himself, and a younger brother (NK) that is always making a mess and causing problems. As an older brother China feels a bit obligated to take care and look after North Korea. So i assume they are punishing NK for causing so many problems recently and isn't giving them food and going to make them fend for themselves. Just my little theory.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Travlla

Analysts monitoring North Korea said Chinese officials had privately complained to them that the North Koreans were dismantling Chinese wagons and selling them back as scrap metal.

Tony Banbury, Asia director for the UN World Food Programme, said that the curtailed service had held up the delivery of 8,000 tonnes of maize and wheat already stockpiled in Dandong, a Chinese border town. “We now have significant amounts of food but we can’t deliver it,” Mr Banbury said.

www.asianoffbeat.com...

edit on 27-3-2011 by Northwarden because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm unsure how things are run there?...

I understand civilians mostly get paid the same amount and have to buy their own food. However, does the gov't subsidize the countries army man pay and have to pay for their meals? If so, that's a lot of mouths to feed.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
North Korea is a disaster on wheels. I bet the military and the regime are well stocked and fattened up off the food stuffs generously given by the international community. Perhaps, the reason he is able to reign unopposed is the simple method of keeping his people hungry and to weak to mount any resistance?

It is really a shame, that nothing more can be done for those people. So, UN gives this urgent warning about the potential of massive starvation in North Korea, but what are they willing to do? As long as Kim Jong IL and whoever takes over after him has his million man army, artillery pieces aimed at Seoul, and few nukes; nothing will be done.

Any military intervention would be to costly an endeavor given the economic ramifications for the region to go along with the mega disaster in Japan, and the loss of life will be unfathomable. The best any nation can do for them is to do nothing, and hope China can sort things out with their isolate vassal state to the north. It looks like millions more will join the other tortured souls who have succumbed to North Korea's famines and mass starvation from the past.

posted on Mar, 27 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
So.... They dismantled the wagons being used to ship the food keeping their country from starving, so they could sell the scrap back to the people feeding them.... rendering them unable to ship the food..... That has to be the most incredibly stupid thing I have ever heard in my life.

top topics

join