It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

*Alert* All live seismometers world wide are off the charts! experts needed

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I remember a little seismology from my geology training.
You can work backwards from those charts to find the epicenter if you know the location and time of the instrument stations that the charts came from. It’s a lot of data to look through but you can trace back it all to the origin.

Simplified there are P-waves and S-waves on the graph, the waves began at the same time at the epicenter but moved at different speeds across Earth to the instrument station and comparing the two gives you a distance between the epicenter and instrument station. By plotting the locations of instrument stations and drawing a circle with proper radius for the distance around them you may see where the circles intersect on a map to triangulate the epicenter location.

I do hydrogeology and have seen momentarily raised groundwater levels in my data from quakes on the other side of the globe.

Must remember that the Richter Scale is logarithmic so the next number is an order of magnitude higher.

edit on 25-3-2011 by Nickodemus because: clarity

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I'm scared - somebody hold me! OK, I'm not really scared...but hold me anyway.

Can someone put together that last 20 years of this data into a single page dataset to see how this activity holds up statistically?
edit on 25-3-2011 by Nefarious because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Just make sure it's not an oak tree, they got the weekest roots.

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Charts are more calm today somewhat but found something interesting....
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

That is a current incident map with EQ recorded.... Charts are low but activity is quite high....

posted on Mar, 25 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
That's from the 6.8 that hit Myanmar:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Please understand folks, whenever there is a quake above like 5.7 or so, many seismos are going to pick it up all over the world. In the case of a very powerful 6.8, even more so. The earth basically rings like a bell for minutes, hours, or even days (for real big ones like the 9.1 that hit Japan.) Not the end of the world yet, sorry. Don't worry, we'll let you know.

i think we'll all know but thanks for the heads up

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join