It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whooping Cough Making a Comeback

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
This disease has been controlled for a longtime with vaccinations but in this article it says that the disease is coming back due to people not having this vaccination, it is very contagious and providing this post for everyone's information so you can make sure you are protected from this disease.

Whooping Cough Reappears In Houston
HOUSTON -- Houston hospitals have noticed the comeback of an illness once thought to have disappeared through years of vaccination, News2Houston reported Wednesday. More doctors across the country are diagnosing children and adults with pertussis, more commonly known as whooping cough.

Although the illness can be dangerous for children, the Texas Department of Health reported that only 78 percent of children are vaccinated against it.

Since whooping cough is very contagious, early detection is key to preventing infection and beginning treatment.

"I was very concerned about all the people I had infected," said Lisa Holtin, a patient.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One patient was misdiagnosed a few times before the correct diagnosis was made, the medical community needs to refresh their memories on the symptoms of this disease so victims can be identified before this can spread unnecessarily.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It's not a very nice sickness...
I had it when I was a youngster and it's wretched, as any respiratory illness is.

Some people might be weary of this, if you know what I mean:

The government will decide if it's time to add more booster shots for children and adults, since doctors have noticed that the vaccine can wear off in adulthood.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I will post more stories as I find them, here is an article from North Dakota.....

Whooping cough cases on the rise
Whooping cough keeps spreading across North Dakota.

Ninety-four new cases of the disease have been reported since July 8, when the state health department last issued an update. The total number of reported cases has reached 130, all of them since June 22.

Eight cases of whooping cough have been reported in Burleigh County. Ward County has reported the vast majority of the cases, with 97.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Add Utah and Iowa to the list.....

Whooping cough warning issued
Five cases of highly contagious pertussis � whooping cough � have been confirmed statewide this month. And health officials are reminding people that the bacterial infection is easily spread and can have grave consequences, especially for children younger than age 1.
The presence of pertussis itself is no shock. There are several cases most months, especially in spring and fall. But last summer the number was unusually high and health officials hope this summer people will take precautions to prevent spreading it and getting it. That includes seeing that immunizations are up-to-date for small children and staying away from others if you have symptoms, said Susan Mottice, an epidemiologist in the state Department of Health.

Whooping cough diagnosed in Buchanan County
NDEPENDENCE --- The Buchanan County Health Center on Tuesday confirmed a case of whooping cough.

Hospital workers would not release specifics about the case. In a press release, health officials said the public should not become overly alarmed but should be cautious.

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yes it is coming back and the sad thing is that I can not get a recent statistic, for some reason everything that have to do with goverment related sites stops at the year 2002. I guess the administration careless about our nations proplems.

Incidence (annual) of Whooping Cough: 7,405 cases annually (1998); under-diagnosis of cases in adults means the real prevalence may be much higher; 7,288 annual cases notified in USA 1999 (MMWR 1999)
Incidence Rate: approx 1 in 36,731 or 0.00% or 7,405 people in USA [about data]
Prevalance of Whooping Cough: In the United States, 5000-7000 cases are reported each year. Incidence of pertussis has increased steadily since the 1980s. The highest incidence since 1967 (2.9/100,000) was reported in 1996, when 7796 cases of pertussis were reported.1

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Whew there are too many stories about the comeback of whooping cough, just go to google news and search (Whooping cough), you will be surprised how widespread this is. I will not post anymore articles here to save bandwidth for ATS......

top topics

join