It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organizing your BOB.The C's of survival.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I just finished reading the *must leave now* thread and I noticed people have these big lists that to me seem sporadic.

So....I decided to try to help people focus a little more by a very simple rule.
The C's.
You can pack a bag quickly by following the rule of C's.

1.Cutting tool.
2.Compass.
3.Cover (tent,tarp etc)
4.Calories.
5.Combustables.
6.Clothing.
7.Cordage.
8.Container.
(very important even tho it is not a bag item is #9)
9.Calm attitude

If anyone would like to add an essential C item then please do.
I go out on a regular basis and this is what I do to not forget essential items when I pack.

I would also like to add....I try to not take the house and kitchen sink because I will have to carry that bag.
Pack lite and keep the C's in mind.

Thoughts??

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Pretty Complete list but for lack of a water filter.
Charcoal filter! got it..

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
For the life of me I can't come up with a C word for first aid gear, but thats something that I think a lot of people often overlook when building a bag especially in the case of younger preppers. Overall the concept of using the letter C is a great one as it helps make things more concise and easy to follow.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Crapper.... figure out how your going to deal with taking a crap

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Excellent addition.

I knew water was gonna get brought up.
I don't mind boiling with my container.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
For the SHTF scenario, Cigarettes for bartering.

Edit to add:

Originally posted by Helig
For the life of me I can't come up with a C word for first aid gear, but thats something that I think a lot of people often overlook when building a bag especially in the case of younger preppers. Overall the concept of using the letter C is a great one as it helps make things more concise and easy to follow.

Cures?

Edit to add:
Cavity Preventers? (toothbrush and toothpaste)
Cornhole Cleaner?
(toilet paper)
edit on 3/22/2011 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

Inflate able CNA which also works as my PFD personal floating device....sorry ....wow ATA is a mod now...bout time.....congrats...

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

How bout a Crappy medical kit?

Theres got to be a C word so we can get it in there as well.
Any takers?

NVM.....Cures is a good one!!
edit on 22-3-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
There seems to be two different survival strategies on ATS.

One, like yours, acknowledges the need to potentially have to migrate and travel, while the other seems to be focused on solely the loss of electricity and common services with the ability to remain in one's home or some other more permanent shelter.

There seems to be a growing group that feels the need to stock-up but not the need to ever leave home. I've looked at several of the lists of supplies and shake my head wondering how on Earth they are going to be able to move in a hurry with all of that?!

I guess people forget that although they may be preparing, a far greater number are not. Staying in the haven of your home, unless you find yourself in a community of like-minded prepared individuals willing to defend one another, will make one a sitting duck for looters, thieves, and would-be murderers.

I can just see all of the people with fully stocked basements and smoke coming out of the chimney signaling a payday for the next passerby.

It all comes down to what you are preparing for and why. If you're looking to ride out a natural disaster of some sort, a month or so, than perhaps you could stay tucked safely in your home.

If you are preparing for the collapse of this country, you definitely need to be able to migrate and carry all of your gear with you. Just my opinion though.

I guess I don't think of 30 days as "survival". When I think of survival, I'm thinking about the long-haul. Months, possibly years. Maybe it's just me.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Don't forget the number one most needed "C" that should be in every bug out bag:

A Cold fusion generator.

I got extras if they are becoming more scarce.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Cintas Kit?

Is that a well enough known brand to work?
edit on 22-3-2011 by lpowell0627 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

You made an EXCELLENT point.
People never think about the difference between sustaining and surviving.
Survival is when all the things you stocked up on are gone and you are left with what you know.
The more you know the less you need.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
clogs.... you never know when these wooden shoes will be needed

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I just had to look it up but as long as you know what it is then for sure...toss it in the pile of C's.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoods724

Use your shovel and dig a hole.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Helig

>>C word for first aid gear

Perhaps, Cuts & Cures?

I liked the C list. I was kind of surprised that I have all those covered (new, in development BOB) at least to some extent.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Some rather excellent points made there.

While Drum's "C"s are quite important to or for most Any type SHTF scenario ... I've always considered the 6 "P"s equally important as well.

prior planning prevents piss poor performance

Me?
Due to our location and whatnot actual 'bugging out' and 'taking to the road' seems a rather unlikely scenario for us ... hence we prepare for knuckling, buckling down and merely making the best of it off the land and what we have stored up and reserves of.

Now ... 15-20 years ago that'd be a whole different scenario altogether [think cold war era], since we're within 50 'crow flies' miles of a state capitol, several international airports and the 'little pentagon' [raven rock].

With that type [MAD] scenario no longer seeming any sort of grave concern, we tend to prepare more for the absolute and total loss of critical infrastructure, utilities and whatnot ... no matter how extended a time frame such a situation may possibly present or last for.

foodstuffs
capped, hand-dug well
dry goods
self-canned goods
etc

Again ... the 6 "P"s are just as important as Drum's notably veritable "C"s

... in fact, I think the two actually compliment one another, both in importance and relevance to the subject.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
*Carl (me)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I guess I think of needing this stuff in a more dire situation. For example, stocking up on items to barter sounds good. But realistically, wouldn't you have to get through the first six months or so first, before worrying about who you are going to barter with? It won't be -- and this is going to sound terrible and heartless -- until after those that didn't prepare begin to pass on that one will be left with a group of people at least somewhat prepared. The first six months, maybe only three, will be the worst I would imagine. This is when panic, scrambling, and the "you or me" mentality takes root.

The reality is that there are far more people with nothing -- and I mean nothing including tonight's meal that they plan to pick-up on the way home -- than there are people with supplies amassed. Maybe I'm wrong, but the camping and army stores are always far more empty than McDonald's and Pizza Hut. At least by me.

edit on 22-3-2011 by lpowell0627 because: root and route...not the same.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I am glad you posted it.
I was considering adding it to my OP.

A new bit of info for the toolbox.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join