It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexually assaulted and told 'You'll die tonight'... but spared as she's American: Female journal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

A female war photographer from the New York Times revealed tonight how she was repeatedly sexually assaulted during her nightmare hostage ordeal in Libya.
Lynsey Addario was one of four Times journalists have now been released after being held captive by pro-Gaddafi forces. During their six-day detainment, the Americans were beaten and threatened with being decapitated and shot.

Miss Addario, a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer, gave a harrowing account of her brutal treatment at the hands of their Libyan captors in an interview given just hours after her release.

After she and her colleagues were hauled out of a car at a checkpoint near the eastern city of Ajdabiya, one of the Libyans punched her in the face and laughed at her.

One man grabbed her breasts – the start of a pattern of sexual harassment she endured over the ensuing 48 hours.
‘There was a lot of groping,’ she said. ‘Every man who came in contact with us basically felt every inch of my body short of what was under my clothes.’

As she was being driven away from Ajdabiya, she said another of her captors stroked her head and told her repeatedly that she was going to be killed.

‘He was caressing my head in this sick way, this tender way, saying, "You’re going to die tonight. You’re going to die tonight",‘ she added.

Miss Addario was with Anthony Shadid, the paper’s Beirut bureau chief, photographer Tyler Hicks and reporter and videographer Stephen Farrell when they were seized while leaving the scene of fighting between rebels and Libyan government forces because they decided it had become too dangerous.

Their driver inadvertently drove into a checkpoint manned by troops loyal to the Libyan dictator.

source: www.dailymail.co.uk...

Not that I desire harm to anyone, but why is this story " big"? I mean, if you put yourself in a bad situation, don't you think you kinda deserve what you get? Bad choices bring about bad consequences right?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

In my opinion, being groped, outside of her clothes, as a prisoner of war, and then shortly released is a pretty good outcome! She could have been gang-raped like the reporter in Egypt, she could have been killed, she could have been captive for months or years.

If you are an American in a country being attacked by America, and you are captured, and all you get is a TSA pat down, some threats, and a release. You should be singing the praises of the restraint shown by the enemy forces.

Just another example of a melodramatic reporter that doesn't understand war is war.
edit on 22-3-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

My sediments exactly. I mean, like I said previously, I would hope no one, male or female, undergo torture, or rape, and yes, she did come out pretty much unscathed, but thats not the point. A person puts themselves in harms way, eventually something bad is going to happen...indeed she got lucky.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It's bad what happened to her, but come on... She's lucky she wasn't decapitated alive after being raped by every man there.
I hope these journalists realize the dangers they're facing in the name of their jobs.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
It's bad what happened to her, but come on... She's lucky she wasn't decapitated alive after being raped by every man there.
I hope these journalists realize the dangers they're facing in the name of their jobs.

Agreed, I mean eventually you have to ask yourself, is this worth it? Especially when they know, when they return, there notes and " story " will be swayed to fit the MSM entertainment needs.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Calling this a "sexual assault" is ridiculous. This is happening in every airport in the nation at this very moment. Does she not realize that they could have just killed her companions, denied anything ever happened, and have kept her as a concubine for the guards for the duration of the war? If Ghadaffi stays in power, she could have wound up missing for years, and when they got bored with her, she would just be killed and discarded. It seems people have no idea of how bad things can actually get in a situation like this? Our female soldiers in Iraq are often treated worse than this by their own side! Blackwater/XE was accused of much more horrendous things to women that were on their own payroll. This lady is upset about this treatment from the enemy?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Yeah, I read about all that with blackwater and what not....just ludicrous

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Yeah, it's funny how we rarely ever hear about the truly horrible things that go on in the world from the MSM.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This was at the airport before she left America right ?
Did she get photo's or the story she wanted ?
I say rubbish to this story , just more propaganda to get everyone behind this stupid war .If true I don't feel sorry for her at all .She should not be in the country since her's is at war with them ! Don't get me wrong if this was a innocent tourist ,then I would feel differently .The media is not innocent of anything .She should ask where Al Gore was in her time of need ?Maybe then she'll get they big scoop she wanted .

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Why do these stupid female reporters go to these places.....its an invite to be sexually assulted

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whereweheaded

Not that I desire harm to anyone, but why is this story " big"? I mean, if you put yourself in a bad situation, don't you think you kinda deserve what you get? Bad choices bring about bad consequences right?

I wouldn't say she "deserved" it, but she should have been expecting it. Putting oneself in the line of fire, so to speak, for a cause could be considered a noble and/or honorable act. And such an act does have consequences to it, but to "deserve" something would imply that one did something worthy of the consequence.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

I see what your saying, and maybe the word " deserving " was the wrong terminology to have been used. But the point was, if anyone puts themselves in harms way, bad consequences are surely going to unfold.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

..She's actually complaining that the worst thing that happened to her is someone groped her breast OVER her clothing?

What a !@$!% moron. Perhaps she should sit the next war out.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
If a male wrote this story he would be laughed at. She sounds like she is playing the girl card. If you are reporting on a war, what do you expect?

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Here is her Bio, with photos. She's been around, I would think it unlikely that she did not know the risks associated with her job. The woman has been a part of documenting much of the world's pain, in the past decade.

www.lynseyaddario.com...#/info/bio

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Dude!

S%F

My sediments exactly

hope you are not eroding

but seriously this sounds just a wee bit like BS
glad to see no ones swallowing it.

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Video or it didn't happen.

/thread

posted on Mar, 22 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Well, prisoner or no prisoner...no one deserves to be treated that way.

new topics

top topics

join