It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homing pigeons vanish during race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
July 22, 2004

ORGANISERS of a race for homing pigeons were still scratching their heads in wonder today after about 1500 of the birds, famous for their ability to find their way home, went missing during the contest.
"I have worked with pigeons since 1960 and have never experienced anything like this," Nilsson said, adding that the birds might have been thrown off course by subtle changes in the earth's magnetic field.

The pigeons have a natural homing instinct and are believed to navigate by the sun and the magnetic waves of the earth, Nilsson said.
news.com.au...

This is wierd

I reckon it has something to do with the military OR a Polar shift. But, I would bet my money
on the military.
Sanc'.
(I'm not sure this is in the right forum)

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Maybe this kind of thing freaked the pigeons out. Some radar type interference.
This article got me thinking,

Military, industry sonar harms whales: IWC report
Sonar used by the military to spot enemy submarines is to blame for increasing cases of whales being stranded on beaches and dying, the scientific committee of the International Whaling Commission (IWC) has said.

The IWC report adds weight to theories that sonar harms the giant sea mammals, a hypothesis that has been disputed by the military and by the oil and gas industry, which uses the technology to search for energy reserves.
www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

HA! I just had a vision of a electric car advocate trying to explain to Cheney the
benefits of solar power.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hasen�t there been quite a few of these reports of animals (mostly birds) going missing lately? I�m not really shure if this happens all the time, but it seems like I�ve read several topics on it the last month and a half.

[edit on 22-7-2004 by Dawnaj]

posted on Jul, 22 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dawnaj
Hasen�t there been quite a few of these reports of animals (mostly birds) going missing lately?
[edit on 22-7-2004 by Dawnaj]

There have been so far that I have read anyway:

China - flock of birds just drop and die - hmmm
Peliquins dissapearing - different states ;Whole flock of birds just dissapearing and leaving their nests
Brown peliquins, flock (If I remember right) mistakingly flew into a rock slab thinking it was water in AZ
A whole Herring flock has dissappeared in the NW
Also, just a note and a little creepy; but I have not heard birds chirping in the early mornings here where I live. Usually, you can hear them real early in the morning gathering food = nothing! Pacific NW area.

How about where you guys live? Just curious
excuse spelling errors, I haven't even had coffee yet; sorry.

posted on Jul, 23 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Godsent, yeah those are the ones I�ve also heard/read about.

Oups: what I first posted was infact the same story that the first post was about, I didn�t realize that...sorry!

Well, it seems to be pretty global, but whether it�s the sun or something closer to home causing it, we can only guess!

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Dawnaj]

[edit on 23-7-2004 by Dawnaj]

posted on Jul, 24 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
There is something going on with birds. I live In Eastern Kentucky and Ive lived here for over 7 years. Until about 6 days ago, Ive had like over a 100 birds that lived on my property and stayed in a bunch of trees I have. Now they have completely vanished. I just cant understand how 100's of birds that have been here for all these years just go away over night. Im not sure what kind of birds they were.

top topics

join