It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do all republicans believe what they say?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Im a republican and a bush supporter. I agree wth most of bush's policies I do not agree with all. I disagree with his decision to focus the war on drugs on marijuana as I believ it is a waste of both money and effort which would be better spent getting crack, heroin and other hard drugs off of our streets. However I disagree less with bush than with kerry and in general with the republican platform that the democrat platform. As a result I am a republican. Do I beleve everything he says? No. I look at his position I look at the opoonents position and I make up my own mind. By the same token I don't beleve what Micheal Moore or hillary clinton says either, but I do give more credibiliity to a republican than an democrat source because I have seen too many instances of outright lies by liberals. (not saying the republicans don't lie too but the dems strike me as more fanatical)
Posters like goose who put words in peoples mouth reinforce this position.
Goose I did not see one instance where seapeople stated that only the upperclass should be allowed to vote. I did see her state that the better educated someone is the more likely they are to be conservative however there are multiple ways to interpert that.
for example
1) most of those who attain higher education come from middle class or upperclass family and thus are more likely to have conservative tendancies.
2) the republican platform is smarter and therfore the smarter you are the more likely you are to be republican.
3) most of those who attain higher education get high paying jobs and thus are more likely to want to reduce the size of the government and thus taxes.
4) most of those who obtain higher degrees are white and therfore more likely to be conservative.
And thats just off the top of my head. However you chose to interpert that as a staement endorsing the removal of voting rights from the underclass. I fail to see how you could come to that conclusion based on what was posted without a preexisting irattional hate of conservatives.

if you read my response you would see I continually ask if that is what he means, I am not saying that is what he is saying I am asking in disbelief if that is what he means so no I am clearly not putting words in someone else's mouth as you accuse, I'm asking a question. But whether Seapeople is saying what I perceive him to say or not he is clearly saying that the poor vote for what their needs are and feels that is wrong while at the same time it is clear that the rich vote according to their needs but that ok.

As for as republicans wanting to reduce the size of the government they currently are running a higher dificit than ever, do you know who our bankers are? China and Japan
The republican platform is supposed to be less government in our lives but yet you have Bush screaming about issues that should be personal choices and he is wanting to make laws against them. So much for less gov. in our lives.

The statement you make about the republican platform being smarter so therefore the smarter one is the more like they are to be republican, I think you are equating smart and wealthy as one in the same thing but that is not true. It is true the more wealthy one is the more likely they are to be republican but wealth does not necessarily make or mean one is smarter. If you need proof of that let me remind you of something your President said. He was born with a silver spoon in his mouth for sure and had all the best opportunities in life as a result. He has been credited with saying that he is living proof that a C student can become President. He is wealthy.

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 08:49 AM
link   
goose - I did not say that I believe that republicans are smarter by nature I merly pointed out that that was on possible interpertation of seapeoples statement. Also while what seapeople meant may be clear to you i am unfortuanly incapable of interperting what people mean other than by reading what they post. While it may be clear to you that seapeople meant to say that the poor vote for thier needs which is bad and the rich vote for thier needs which is good I can find no support in seapeople's words for that. As far as I can tell all seapeople said was

I cite the fact often that the more educated you are the MORE LIKELY you are to be conservative. An enormous base of voters lies in people who are dependent on welfare and free housing. It lies in unskilled workers and organized unions. All of these people are looking for handouts in one way or another. So they are willing to allow basic rights to be taken away from them to get it.

My interpertation is that seapeople believes that
1) the more educated a person is the more likely they are to be conservative
2) those who are on welfare want a handout
3) those on welfare are willing to give up some rights for free food and housing

Now while all of these ponts are debateable I fail to see how you drew the conclusion from them, or the idea that seapeople may have been stating that the underclass should not be allowed to vote.

I see no evidence of that sentiment in the passage. I see nothing implying that in the passage.

Finally goose though your statements had question marks at the end, the structure of your questions I.E. "if I understand you correctly" shows that you beleved this to be true and were merley trying to confirm your understanding. Its whats known as assupmtive. But my question is how do you make such a huge leap of concept from what was said to what was asked in the first place. How does the statement I quoted or any other made on this thread by seapeople imply that seapeople believes that the underclass and those with low paying unskilled jobs should not be allowed to vote?

posted on Jul, 29 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331

Finally goose though your statements had question marks at the end, the structure of your questions I.E. "if I understand you correctly" shows that you beleved this to be true and were merley trying to confirm your understanding. Its whats known as assupmtive.

As I have said several times that I am completely giving Seapeople the benefit of doubt as to what he is saying, I am asking him, is this what you mean? Am I understanding you correctly? I am not saying, this is what you mean, I am asking is this what you mean, one is a statement and the other is a question. The fact that you do not feel he is saying that is your own perception of what he wrote. The fact that I felt he might be saying that is through my own perception of what he wrote.

<< 1   >>

join