It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Speed Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Basic info : Windows Vista Home Premium on a HP Presario desktop - 32 bit. Firefox browser. Here's my problem. I don't have a super fast connection, just 1.2 mbs. The problem is when I speed test I get exactly what I should, 1.2mbs, BUT, when I actually download, it will go to 155kbs and that's it. I'm going to change ISPs when a new one comes to the area in a couple months, but is there anything I can do till then?

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
You want to keep in mind you're also relying on the parties server in which you're downloading from. A lot of times they'll only allow a few hundred K of data per each user to keep an efficient server.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

You could be getting limited from the server end, I have a 20Mb connection and frequently download at those speeds. Try downloading something from one of Microsoft's servers, they usually max my connection.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

You have 2 remember that ISP's qoute speeds in "megabits" not mega bytes

I have a 10 megabit connection which = around 1 megbyte a sec download rate

a 20megabit line will give you around 2 megbyte a sec download rate

Your speed seems correct for 1.2 megbit giving between 100 - 150k a second, dont change ISP because this wont change.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
it depends where you are dlding from, if its like mega upload or rapidshare, they limit the speed their free users dld. if its like torrents, you are at the mercy of your seeders. if its like youtube, then you need a better internet plan, or a better provider like dsl or cable.
edit on 20-3-2011 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Want a little speed up advice? Delete all cookies, and clean the Windows Registry. Here is a really good, totally free tool to do both:
CCleaner
How much RAM do you have? It has been my experience that when running Vista, one needs over 1 Gb of memory, preferably 2 Gb or more. Also, here is another little program that works really well, RegCleaner. RegCleaner will totally clean the Windows Registry out, and has another nice feature too, the Start Menu programs. Everything one installs in Windows wants to come up when windows starts. From any game, to Windows Office, to Java Update. All of these hog memory. Take out anything that Windows does not need to boot. Do this, you will notice a substantial speed increase in your Windows.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

But does that give a faster download speed?

That was the question.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

Thanks, I'll give'em a try. I usually use Advanced System Care Pro to clean, but maybe CCleaner will get something the other doesn't. The reason I'm changing providers is the newer one provides a much faster connection at the same price. The connection I have now is cable and with a small company. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

posted on Mar, 20 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
155kbs is in kiloBITS per second, there are 8 BITS in a BYTE so 155 * 8 = 1 240 BYTES per second or 1.2mb

Your connection is fine

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

If there are 8 bits in a byte and the speed (155 kbs) is in bits, doesn't that mean you need to divide that by 8 to get the speed in bytes per second?

If it does, it means a 155kb/8 bytes per second= 19kBs.

Right? Or am I mixing things up once more?

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Errmmm

Now you've got me confused too

I think I got the Bits and Bytes turned around lol

Broadband speed is measured in MegaBITS per second, while the dl speed shows in KiloBYTES
so the calculation is right in that your broadband speed is correct, I just got my bits and bytes in the wrong order

So it should read
155kbs is in kiloBYTES per second, there are 8 BITS in a BYTE so 155 * 8 = 1 240 BITS per second or 1.2mb

Your connection is fine
edit on 21-3-2011 by davespanners because: i got very very confused

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
NOT SURE IF YOU FIXED THIS OR NOT...BUT..HERE ARE SOME STEPS TO DO SO

I AM ASSUMING YOUR USING WIRELESS...

FIRST, PLUG YOUR PC INTO THE ISP BOX WITH A LAN CABLE...THEN TEST YOUR DOWNLOADS...

SEE IF THEY ARENT BETTER, THEY SHOULD BE... IF THEY ARE NOT, YOU HAVE SERIOUS PROBS
ON THAT PC THAT WE CAN ADDRESS

IF THEY ARE BETTER, THEN YOUR PROBLEM IS THAT YOUR EITHER TOO FAR FROM YOUR ROUTER,
TOO MANY WALLS OR FLOORS FOR THE SIGNAL TO GO THRU...

YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO GO INTO THE ADVANCED PROPERTYS OF YOUR WIRELESS ADAPTER
AND CHANGE IT FROM A/B/G TO JUST G ...SET YOUR RATE AT ..HIGHEST AND SAVE

IF IT IS A WIRELESS PROBLEM AND IT WORKS BETTER ON LAN...WELL THERE YOU GO..GET A BETTER
ROUTER ( N ) OR GET IT CLOSER...THRU LESS WALLS AND FLOORS...EVERY WALL DECREASED THE WIRELESS SIGNAL 25%

OK..SO TRY THAT...LET ME KNOW HOW IT GOES...PM ME

top topics

join