It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gaddafi forces push into rebel city of Benghazi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Gaddafi forces push into rebel city of Benghazi

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi's forces pushed into the rebel-held city of Benghazi on Saturday, defying world demands for an immediate ceasefire and after France's U.N. envoy predicted an imminent military action.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
So Gaddafi declared cease-fire yesterday and some hours later he's attacking Benghazi. Did he only state this to blame the rebels later they were actually breaking the agreement?

Plane shot down over rebel-held city in Libya

People gather around the smoldering remains of an aircraft after it crashed north of Benghazi, Libya, Thursday, March 17, 2011. Witnesses said the aircraft was piloted by anti-Gadhafi rebels and crashed for mechanical reasons. Libyan rebels used three of their own seized planes and some helicopters to attack government troops fighting to advance on the city of Benghazi, said Mustafa Gheriani, a spokesman in the rebel base. Gadhafi's forces encircled a key eastern city and his warplanes went deeper into rebel-held territory to bombard Benghazi's airport Thursday, threatening an all-out offensive to bring down the rebellion. (Alaguri / AP)

Read more: www.timesunion.com...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 19-3-2011 by gnostician because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2011 by gnostician because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by gnostician

People gather around the smoldering remains of an aircraft after it crashed north of Benghazi, Libya, Thursday, March 17, 2011. Witnesses said the aircraft was piloted by anti-Gadhafi rebels and crashed for mechanical reasons.

These are no longer rebels how did they manage to get an aircraft? oh never mind i think know that one

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Good. The world needs to stay out of the internal affairs of other nations and get their own houses in order.

Good. I hope it steals the thunder from oobama. Wait! I mean the distraction action.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Fighter jet downed in Benghazi as Gaddafi's tanks roll in

edit on 19-3-2011 by thisisnotaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

I think Obama is correct. If the world fails to act, then we would have yet another humanitarian crisis on our hands.

This is the world trying to prevent another Rawanda. I dont think any of you would oppose intevention in that situation. We need to look at this relative to like situations, and with a certain amount of reason

No need to demonize the US and international community. They are only doing what most of you were ruthlessly advocating no more then 2 weeks ago. whats changed?

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

I think Obama is correct. If the world fails to act, then we would have yet another humanitarian crisis on our hands.

humanitarian crisis my butt we should stay out of it, i am shamed that our canadian prime minster is getting involved by sending jets to Libya supporting the youth rebels.

No need to demonize the US and international community. They are only doing what most of you were ruthlessly advocating no more then 2 weeks ago. whats changed?

Oh i see so you support the us regime change eh? listen they dont care about the rebels the US and international community only interest in Libya is OIL.

SPACEYstranger you better stop living in that world where amercia is the world police bully.

edit on 19-3-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

People gather around the smoldering remains of an aircraft after it crashed north of Benghazi, Libya, Thursday, March 17, 2011. Witnesses said the aircraft was piloted by anti-Gadhafi rebels and crashed for mechanical reasons.

These are no longer rebels how did they manage to get an aircraft? oh never mind i think know that one

Several officers have defected over the last few weeks taking whole units of men and equipment (some heavy, some aircraft), to fight on the side of the rebels. This is common knowledge.

posted on Mar, 19 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by SPACEYstranger

Oh i see so you support the us regime change eh? listen they dont care about the rebels the US and international community only interest in Libya is OIL.

SPACEYstranger you better stop living in that world where amercia is the world police bully.

Of course they are interested in the Oil. Of course they want to defend, and regain access to, all of the oil wells that are being bombed and burned by the Ghaddafi regime. Seems obvious.

Whether we like it or not, the United States is the "world police bully" . Its not a false reality, its a fact.

Before the United States, it was Great Britain and France... the "defenders of the free world". Thats not to say they didn't commit atrocities against the colonies they controlled. Britain had a nasty reputation for its soldiers killing entire villages of people (among other things)

Since the end of WWII, the United States has very clearly taken up that role. It may not always be honest work, and by no means will everybody like the world super power. After all, America is the economic and military powerhouse of the past 60 years. We have naturally assumed the position of World Police (along with their allies, who have also voice support).

Im living in the real world. the real, corrupt, world. a world where the United States is expected to do the right thing under scrutiny to set an example for the rest of the free world.

They may have supported Ghaddafi in the past, but for obvious reasons (oil, humanitarian crisis, international expectations, calls from Lybians civs, learning from past genocides and the detrimental effect on the world econemy, 1.23 at the pumps) They will step in.

Modern colonialism is embodied by massive investment by democracies into second world countries like Lybia. All the leaders of the "free world" are obligated to step in by economists, industrialists, politicians, and people. Its not a matter of whether the US is bad or wrong, because your really in no position to make that sort of appraisal.

Then i guess you would rather just assume everything the US does is wrong, and have another Genocide happen, written into our textbooks as the one that got away because of inaction by the free world (AKA the USA).
edit on 19-3-2011 by SPACEYstranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

join