It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xenon-133 : What you'll be breathing in.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The latest news on the radiation is as follows :

"2152: AFP has more on that 'miniscule' amount of radiation detected in California. "Miniscule quantities of the radioactive isotope xenon-133" were picked up by a monitor in Sacramento. "The origin was determined to be consistent with a release from the Fukushima reactors in northern Japan," the Environmental Protection Agency is quoted as saying in a joint statement with the Department of Energy."
www.bbc.co.uk...

Ok it's "miniscule" now, but considering it HAS reached the US in only a matter of days is worrying. The situation was said to have gotten worse - so we can only expect more Xenon-133 in the air.

Of the research I've done so far, Xenon-133 has a half life of 5.2 days which means that it will take 36.4 days for 7 half lives eclipsed to reach

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Thank God! It's still not ideal but it's a lot better than an isotope with a half life of 30 years +

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
It's gonna get bad if this stuff starts showing up from Reactor # 3:

MOX releases plutonium, which has a 24,200 year half-life & can cause lung cancer at extremely low doses.

...because if it does show up - it's ain't going anywhere, any time soon.

edit on 18-3-2011 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

#. We're really screwed aren't we. Because each other those reactors had different isotopes in em - So I guess the plutonium is on its way.
edit on 18-3-2011 by theghosthunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I swear to God if I wake up next week and suddenly I have the head of a Golden Retriever...I will be pi$$ed!

edit on 18-3-2011 by IamAbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Xenon-133 (brand name Xeneisol, ATC code V09EX03) is an isotope of Xenon. It is a radionuclide that is inhaled to assess pulmonary function, and to image the lungs. It is also often used to image blood flow, particularly in the brain.

Xe-133 is also an important fission product.

...okay, so, tell me again why i'm supposed to be alarmed?...

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by theghosthunter

if it doesn't get swept up in storms or blown back inland to Japan which, depending on the wind pattern could also happen.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Counts per minute rose to double normal background during rainout here today in San Francisco Bay Area, California on our offline indoor counter, from 15 CPM to 30 CPM average. Radiation Network's online counter was in agreement with ours. 150 CPM is considered dangerous, but the Japanese radionucleides definitely made it here.

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by theghosthunter Xenon-133 has a half life of 5.2 days which means that it will take 36.4 days for 7 half lives eclipsed to reach

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Would this be the same Xenon that's currently being used in lightbulbs?
Second line.

new topics

top topics

join