It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: DNC Chairman files FOIA Request regarding DOJ & WhiteHouse Records on Berger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
In a press release this afternoon, Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe stated that he has filed a request under the Freedom of Information Act on behalf of the DNC for the Dept of Justice & White House records regarding the investigation of Sandy Berger.

Drudge - Copy of releaseThis letter constitutes a request under the Freedom of Information Act ("FOIA"), 5 U.S.C. �552, and is submitted on behalf of the Democratic National Committee.

According to recent reporting, an investigation into former National Security Adviser Samuel Berger has been going on for at least nine months, since October 2003. Yet, the criminal investigation only came to light three days prior to the release of a report expected to be critical of the Bush administration's lack of focus on the events leading up to the 9-11 attacks. As conservative scholar Norm Ornstein stated, "you can't look at the timing of this with anything but an enormous amount of skepticism." [CNN, 7/20/04]

In light of the seriousness of the possibility that the Bush administration and the Department of Justice have politicized an ongoing investigation, it is imperative that this Freedom of Information request is responded to in an expedited manner.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There has been no comment from the Department of Justice or The White House concerning this release but one is expected soon and we'll bring you it as we get it.

This has come just days after the revelation that Sandy Berger, an advisor to Democratic candidate John Kerry had removed copies of classified documents from the National Archives. Partisan news sites have said he stuffed this information into his clothes and made off with it but Berger has gone on record as saying he put them in his portfolio accidentally. Republicans are demanding answers for this mistake and this grab for the records may reveal just what Berger had removed.

We'll update you with details later.

Related Links
Canada.com
NPR
Washington Times

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
It would seem to me that Mr Sandy Berger himself also had control of when this story came to light.

If one is being wrongly investigated then rightous indignation would dictate that you expose the allegations in public.

It must be asked why Mr Berger did not do so.

It is also my understanding that briefcases, portfolios and the like are not allowed in rooms where these records are reviewed.

[edit on 21-7-2004 by Phoenix]

posted on Jul, 21 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Phoenix, you are correct. briefcases and portfolios are not allowd in those rooms. I am a researcher at the archives and I am not allowed to bring in my briefcase in. This is nothing more than Democrates trying to hide the facts from the American people. It's an old story, attack to messenger and divert attention on why it's leaked now instead of what happened.

join