It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK reggae star Smiley Culture apparently "Stabs himself while making a cup of tea"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

The angry family of reggae star Smiley Culture are demanding police explain how he died as his house was being raided. Smiley – real name David Emmanuel – was found dead after ­officers burst in on Tuesday. Police told the 48-year-old singer’s relatives he stabbed himself with a kitchen knife while making a cup of tea.

full story

So if I'm getting this straight his house was raided by police looking for drugs, and as they were searching his house he was allowed to go to the kitchen, boil some water and then grab a kitchen knife and stab himself!
A few things obviously don't add up here
1. Are people who's house is being raided usually allowed to wander about free and play with boiling water and knives?
2. If he did it to avoid being arrested then wouldn't he have at least have had a go at running away first?

Nothing to do with this story makes much sense to me. Can anyone else shed any light on it?

For people that have never heard of Smiley Culture here is one of his tunes

As you can see he wasn't know for his like of the police in the first place.

RIP Smiley

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
www.eurweb.com... Claims that he died of a stab wound to the chest(heart).

www.bbc.co.uk... States that the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) will be looking into this.

Well that's a start and I hope something comes of this as it seems to bring new meaning to the term. Somethings rotten in Denmark. I mean they got there at 7 am then an ambulance was not called tIll 8:30. i mean did he sit around for an hour and a half then decide to go make a cuppa .............. strange.

Also it should be noted that he was out on bond stemming from a court case in which trial was to start next Monday .

www.guardian.co.uk... near bottom of article.

Maybe they knew they couldn't get him legally and moved onto other methods..............

edit on 18/3/11 by TrowaBarton because: To add content

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I think the charges the police wanted to press against him were quite serious i.e. drug trafficking, so I just don't understand why they would leave him uncuffed and with access to weapons,
He could have jumped out of the kitchen window for a start. The whole thing stinks

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
n/m all my other thoughts have been added to my last post. However let me say as a small time fan

R.I.P Smiley Obituary

edit on 18/3/11 by TrowaBarton because: N/m

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It does seem quite suspicious, especially for a drugs raid. If it was two officers popping over for a 'chat' then maybe, but in a drugs bust he would have been cuffed and watched simply to stop him from destroying evidence and possibly swallowing some.

Unless they knew him and were on good terms (hence allowing him to make tea) - but in that case surely he wouldn’t have felt the need to kill himself.

On a lighter (and possibly more interesting now) note. I read that the song was based on a true life event where the police let him off for smoking weed when the realised he was a reggae singer. However, he would always complain because the 'po po' was always taking his weed!
Interesting to speculate but I don’t know anything about him to seriously propose any motives or conspiracy, maybe some here does?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

However, he insisted that his main interest was gold mining. As he told it, Cockney Translation had resulted in him being courted by some "serious businessmen in the East End", who had given him money to make various investments. As a result, he said, he had built up gold and diamond mine concessions in several African countries.

On 28 September 2010, shortly after these claims appeared in the ­Guardian, Emmanuel was charged with conspiracy to supply coc aine at Croydon magistrate's court in London.

Hmmm, sounds suspicious to me too, and like a little motive even. Perhaps the popo stumbled upon his cache of treasures. Never heard of the artist, but dug the song

I think/hope we will hear more about this, either from a hearing or from the family, but yea, something stinks about this.

spec

ETA: Upon further consideration, in an attempt to qualify the story as true, perhaps he was one of those people that may have been looking at a long jail sentence, and decided taking his life was a better choice? Just pondering here....but why they did not have him cuffed does not make sense either, so I don't know.
edit on 18-3-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join