It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook To Stream Movies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
link

Warner Bros. to Rent Movies Digitally on Facebook, Starting With 'Dark Knight'

Warner Brothers Pictures
"The Dark Knight"The studio, which says it is the first to offer movies directly on the social media site, aims to roll out additional titles over the coming months.
Warner Bros. is turning to Facebook, where it hopes to find an electronic audience interested in digitally renting The Dark Knight.

Warners said Monday that it is the first Hollywood studio to offer movies directly on Facebook. Friends of Christopher Nolan's Knight, the second of his two Batman movies, can rent the film by going to its official Facebook page and clicking a "rent" icon to apply Facebook Credits. The cost per rental is 30 Facebook Credits, or $3.

We should have seent his one coming, another moneymaking venture on Facebook. Will this be a popular choice? For me, I see it as another conspiracy to get massive amounts of money for one thing, but two, to keep people logged into the Facebook website even longer. Maybe the only conspiracy here is the almighty dollar, although I suspect there may be other sinister issues afoot.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Isnt this a good way of confirming your id....ie..you would have to pay with a bank card to get these movies. Now they know 100% the person who claims to be someone is actually that person.
Im getting rid of facebook...i rarely use it now, and i never put any personal information on there like where i work, date of birth etc. Im sure if you put a phone number on there you will receive more annoying telemarketers ringing you lol.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I knew my fellow ATSers would think of something I had missed. The credit card/payment aspect definitely speaks to a conspiracy angel as far as confirming identity. Lets face it, most people wont be using throw away credit cards on this site it will be there bank card because we are mostly a lazy bunch, and want the quickest fix.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Personally i feel this is just a money making scheme by facebook.
What this will do is get users used to spending money on the site.
Once that happens then facebook will start charging money to access other apps, like games, maybe even streaming radio, and a customizeable user interface ( such as skins etc).
Even though you would probaly have to use a credit card to pay, if you use the card on the internet, those details would be available anyway.
All this would do is make it easier to connect a credit card to a user.

ETA By using a credit card to prove your identity would only mean that it stops users from using an alias to join the site and to prove your age if they were going to start showing adult content.
edit on 10-3-2011 by HEREFORD 1969 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm not so sure I would paint this all sinister and call it a "Scheme", they are just trying to make money off of us, and in a capitalist society that is all fair game my friends.

I'm sure if this is successful they will start offering other pay services, hell, you can pay to "enhance" your farmville. But hey, if people want to spend their money let them. It's their money.

I will tell you this though, I would bet all the money in the world that this will be a huge bomb for facebook. Not because it's a bad idea, but because they will probably be forced into executing it poorly. Look at their chat, it's glitchy at best. There was an article I read in the last week, I really can't remember where, that had some detailing of how this is a copy of what AOL did.

Basically it said how most people my age and older (mid twenties up) their first experience with the web was AOL. So AOL more or less tried to throw us every feature they could, ultimately over extending themselves. Facebook looks to be following the same path.
If I can track down that article I will post the link, it was a good read.

Kal-El

top topics

join