It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death Star /documentary 45.min

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Out in deepest space lurks a force of almost unimaginable power. Explosions of extraordinary violence, are blasting through the Universe every day. If one ever struck our Solar System it would destroy our Sun and all the planets.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing this wonderful documentary with me and the few other people who happen to view it.

I believe this is one of the most fascinating and perplexing subjects that the human mind can grapple with, and indeed we are learning new things every day.

Our own pre-conceived notions of what we consider to be the Laws of physics are challenged and we are forced to think deeply and question our own beliefs consistently. This is very good because it allows us to grow and reach new levels of exercising our brains.

I did enjoy this show very much as I ate a pizza and some ice cream, and I highly recommend it for everyone.

I personally question such commonly accepted theories as "the Big Bang" and "expansion of the Universe", and I have doubts that they are the ultimate solution to understanding the Universe, but I can put those doubts aside and consider the possibilities and ideas proposed by our fellow scientists. I do still however, have those doubts, and I hope that one day we can find truly satisfying albeit elusive answers to those questions.

I do find it rather disconcerting that such subjects are not as popular as the many frivolous and sensationalist fluff that consumes so much of our time here at ATS. But hopefully people will overcome the nonsense and will begin to truly question our place in the cosmos, and aid us in piecing the puzzle together about the origins of our existence.

posted on Mar, 7 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Great documentary but it would have been helpful had you mentioned gamma-ray bursters in the OP somewhere so we know what your topic is. I almost didn't watch it because of the lack of description provided. That may also be part of the reason there's so little feedback on your thread.

The gamma ray bursters are truly amazing. However parts of the documentary seem to defy credibility, like the claim that scientists thought they might have to abandon E=mc^2 as a formula. You might notice it's only the announcer who says that, the scientists they interview don't say that's what they were thinking, though they do admit they were struggling to find an explanation.

I had no idea of the drama taking place on May 9, 1997 as they were making measurements to solve this mystery.

How does that saying go...The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we CAN imagine. It just took some more creative thinking about how to explain these gamma rays without violating E=mc^2.

It certainly seems possible a gamma ray burst could doom life on Earth but life on Earth is doomed whether that happens or not because we think all the water in the oceans will boil away after a billion years or so. So that's a near certainty, (barring something like humans changing the orbit of the Earth to move it further away from the sun), the gamma ray bursts are only a small possibility because if they were happening frequently, life wouldn't have evolved this far on Earth due to repeated mass extinctions.

join