It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I found this article while reading the news today and I thought it interesting. Was wondering what your take is on this.

Whole Soy Story: The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food
Over the past decade, soy foods have become America's favorite health food. Newspapers, magazines, and best-selling health writers have proclaimed the "joy of soy" and promoted the belief that soy food is the key to disease prevention and maximum longevity.

The possibility that an inexpensive plant food could prevent heart disease, fight cancer, fan away hot flashes, and build strong bodies in far more than 12 ways is seductive. The truth, unfortunately, is far more complex. Soy foods come in a variety of forms, including many heavily processed modern products. Even good forms of soy foods must be eaten sparingly-the way they have been eaten traditionally in Asia. Most important, many respected scientists have issued warnings stating that the possible benefits of eating soy should be weighed against the proven risks. Indeed, thousands of studies link soy to malnutrition, digestive distress, immune-system breakdown, thyroid dysfunction, cognitive decline, reproductive disorders and infertility-even cancer and heart disease.

Americans rarely hear anything negative about soy. Thanks to the shrewd public relations campaigns waged by Archer Daniels Midland (ADM), Protein Technologies International (PTI), the American Soybean Association, and other soy interests, as well as the Food and Drug Administration's (FDA) 1999 approval of the health claim that soy protein lowers cholesterol, soy maintains a "healthy" image.

This article is written for parents who need to know the risks of feeding soy formula to infants, or soy milk and other soy foods to growing children. It's designed for prospective mothers and fathers who need to know the links between soy foods, infertility, and birth defects. Finally, it will serve anyone considering soy as a preventive for menopausal symptoms, osteoporosis, cancer, heart disease, or other ills.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My doctor is Japanese and when I asked her about this very subject, she said the MAX amount of soy a person should be injesting is about 3 tablespoons a day. Thats it. And she also stressed that if it was processed, do not eat it because the manufacturers probably use massive amounts of preservatives in the soy itself. She also said to never deep fry soy either.

Here is some links to both the positive and negative side affects of soy and some healthy recipes to try out too.

www.soyinfo.com...
www.soyinfo.com...
www.soyinfo.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Drug-resistant 'superbug' traced to war in Iraq

By William Cole
Advertiser Military Writer
the.honoluluadvertiser.com...

Seems just about everything we consume is killing us off slowly, even the medications they(experts) say will make us better. Bird Flu, Mad Cow, Autism, ADD, Adult ADD, Atkins causing heart problems etc etc.

(Very Large Quote Edited Out)
As we move along day to day, you will see more and more just how real this is:
Hey hey,,,ya knocked the link out

[edit on 18-7-2004 by Byrd]

So here it is
www.livingstonemusic.net...

[edit on 18-7-2004 by project_pisces]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I went vegetarian at one point & ate a lot of soy. It really messed me up, in particular my nervous system. Especially stay away from the overly-processed soy foods made to look & taste like meat: sausages, bacon, turkey, etc. Just because it's "soy" doesn't mean it's "health food."

Soy once in a while is ok, but it is not a food staple.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I so agree...I went on a vegetarian diet and a post-menopausal diet that was extremely high in soy. It did some weird things to my body and mind. Of course, it's hard to sort out what was caused by menopause and what was caused by soy. But, when I cut down the soy ingestion, the symptoms were greatly relieved.
Personally, I opted for acupuncture and Vitamin E to treat my problems.
joey

top topics

join