It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Record Storms And Lightning Strikes Reported in Canada.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Canada has recently broken all records in lightning strikes and rainstorms for the country. The city of Edmond had a damage estimate of $110 million, after heavy rain and hail pounded the city. There was also a recorded 23,000 lightning strikes in Alberta's remote north from Thursday to yesterday according to the Provincial Active Fire Report.

City flood damage tops $110 million
Heavy rain and hail caused roughly $110 million in damage across Edmonton, including about $12 million to roads and drainage systems, say city estimates released yesterday

"This one was considered to be the biggest rainstorm the city of Edmonton has ever seen. It topped all records," Schneider said. "The grand total of damage to the city of Edmonton - both its own infrastructure and private houses that were uninsured - is $50.3 million."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Keep your eyes on the sky
A Husky Energy oil site in Alberta's remote north was evacuated Thursday after lightning sparked a nearby wildfire, say provincial fire officials. The strike was one of 118 in a 24-hour period from Thursday to yesterday when 23,000 lightning strikes were recorded, according to the Provincial Active Fire Report.

"Which is a huge number," said fire information officer Patrick Loewen. "We looked back to 1990 and didn't find another 24-hour period where we had that many."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Severe thunderstorms are still expected accross Alberta according to the reports. Out of the 118 fires which were started by the lightning strikes, 107 were still burning yesterday and 37 are out of control reports the Edmonton Sun.

Related News

Peterborough keeps eye on the sky as flood clean-up efforts continue

Woman feared dead, thousands evacuated in New Zealand flooding

No let-up as floods batter South Asia; death toll 400

Pennsylvania residents inspect damage after winds

Flooding in South Asia leaves millions stranded

Rains, Sandstorms, Winds Worstening Problems of Sudanese Refugees

----edited for spelling errors, and added related links-----

[edit on 18-7-2004 by Muaddib]

[edit on 7-18-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
The following are some photos of the problems they are having in Edmonton Canada.

These photos can be found at the following link.
Wacky Summer Weather

The following is a link to another site to the extreme weather they had in Edmonton Canada on July 11, 2004. These images were taken by Chad Zallas.

West Edmonton Wacky Weather 2004

[edit on 18-7-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Yeah this is some scary stuff. Peterborough is like 100 miles from me, and this is the FIRST TIME IN LIVING MEMORY that somthing like this has happened in Ontario. It just goes to show you that no matter where you live Climate Change is gonna affect you sooner or later. Infact Toronto was supposed to get alot of that rain but instead it hit Central Ontario instead of the South. I have no trust in weather reports anymore cuz they have been wrong more than right for the last 2 years now

AJH

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I live 20 miles east of Peterborough, Ontario. I run a one-man logging and sawmilling operation. At 6:30 on the morning of the flood I was in the bush cutting trees with a tiny amount of raindrops falling. My girlfriend arrived to tell me that Peterborough had been declared a disaster zone due to flooding. Huh???????? It seems the storm parked itself on top of the city and didn't move. My experience is that thunderstorms 'roll' through the countryside. This one was quite different from normal as it remained stationary. By the way, two years ago the city was hit with another massive storm which caused millions of dollars in damage. At that time, residents were told, "It's once in a century. Don't worry about it." As I said, I work in the bush. In February I was sawmilling in my shirtsleeves watching honey bees buzz around the sawdust. (This is Canada, folks. It's supposed to be really cold here in February!!) If any idiot tells me that the weather is not changing dramatically......well, I'll take a fit and never come out. lol.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I'm a little under an hour east of Toronto on the 401 (meaningless if you aren't from Ontario, let alone Canada) and yeah, the weather has been nuts these last few weeks. There was basically a province-wide tornado warning that lasted some 6 hours, with two separate touch-downs, there have been record rains and torrents all over, there was the storm last week that basically woke up the southern end of the province at 3:00 AM - just two rumbles in the distance, then one standard, then one less than 100 yards from my house, then a downpour started and our streets had a minor flood for about an hour under constant lightning. I saw one of the main cells through my window later on as the rain subsided and timed and averaged lightning. For a period of 45 minutes (how long the cloud was in view) There was a flash every 2-2.5 seconds. Thunder every 6. Then there's Peterborough, wow, just nuts.

posted on Jul, 19 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I live in Toronto and have noticed these things too.

One odd thing about all of this is that out of all of the thunder/rain storms that I've witnessed, each of them started at night. There's almost nothing after noon, or in the evening.

Is that just me or did someone else notice this too?

top topics

join