It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea Prods North by Dropping Leaflets Telling of Mideast Protests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The leaflets are being dropped by the south korean military via balloons that distribute their cargo when they burst.
over 3 million have all ready been sent. The leaflets detail popular uprisings that toppled Egypt’s government and stating a dictatorial regime is destined to collapse. although the north korean people have a right to know whats going on in the world. i cant help but think this is a bad idea. i mean i dont think that the south are doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. more like psychological warfare to me. this could escalate big time. story.northkoreatimes.com... saw this originally on bloomberg but couldnt post the link but this one leads you to it.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Here we go. Get ready for NK to start lobbing bombs again.
SK says it will retaliate if shelled again, but I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I dont know who the South think they are if they are doing this, but promoting unrest and violence as we have seen in the Middle East is not the way to go about things. I don't know who the good guys or the bad guys are anymore, It would be easier if they all declared war on each other and they all just sorted this sh!t out.

How are they dropping the leaflets to the North Koreans aswell? Wouldn't they be crossing the North Korean border to achieve this? They dispute the border for half a century or longer, yet they can fly in dropping off leaflets to topple the North Korean dictatorship?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Lil Kim must be delighted with this. Unrest among the NK people had already began mostly due to food shortages, I suppose the South thought they would add some seasoning to the stew and with that they could be stirring up big trouble. Good question - how do they get the leaflets there?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Not really sure how I feel about such a blatant violation of another nations littering laws.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
From the Guardian Blog Yeserday:

9.46am – North Korea: In the comments thread Benghazi217 reports that North Korea has seen protests in the past few weeks, while the economic and food situation is deteriorating. Earlier we heard reports that South Korea is dropping leaflets into its northern neighbour documenting the revolutions in Egypt and Libya.

The South Korean daily Hanguk Ilbo cites a South Korean "high ranking government source" as saying that protests over living conditions take place "almost every day," and that in some instances, soldiers have joined in the protest.

See here (in Korean)

The Chosun Ilbo has published two stories of protest recently. The first says that several dozen protestors in three cities in North Pyeongan Province marched through the streets chanting that they wanted "electricity and rice."

See here (in English)

In the second, "several hundred" protestors took to the streets of the border city of Sinuiju last week. A police officer in a market beat a trader into a coma. His family and fellow traders took to the streets and things snowballed. The army was called in, and 4 to 5 people were killed.

News-Link - Korean 1
News-Link Korean 2
News-Link English

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kolcath

This is not new. S. Korea has dropped leaflets for the longest time up until 2-3 yers ago. They stopped when the N. appeared serious about nuclear neogitations etc.

When N. Korea shot artillery shells a while back, the South started the leaflet as well as the loudspeaker campaigns again.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by kolcath

This is not new. S. Korea has dropped leaflets for the longest time up until 2-3 yers ago. They stopped when the N. appeared serious about nuclear neogitations etc.

When N. Korea shot artillery shells a while back, the South started the leaflet as well as the loudspeaker campaigns again.

they may have been dropping leaflets for a long time but not about the recent uprisings in the middle east.
the north korean goverment are not stupid they know that this thing is escalating. and this may anger them enough to do something foolish. so people should be aware of this. thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I understand they have done this before, Ok fair enough, but how can South Korea possibly drop leaflets off to North Koreans without crossing the border into North Korea? It doesn't make sense. Do they have a massive fan blowing them all in from the border or something? If not, South Korea are in the wrong by flying inside the Norths borders. how else would they do this?
edit on 26-2-2011 by Redevilfan09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Really, really bad idea...who in their right mind would prod a Nuclear armed NK...really?

And about the revolts in the ME? are you kidding? Asking for big trouble...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Redevilfan09

Ok balloons, but still, this is just looking for a reaction.

join