It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A-380 is to Heavy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
According to a report in Bloomberg news the A-380 is 1.7% over its contract weight. The aircraft is touted as being much more efficient than boeings 747 due to lighter weight/per passenger carried, longer range.

The weight penalty if not removed will reduce passenger load by 48 and shorten the range due to higher fuel consumption, negating much of its advantage over Boeings 747.

The contracts call for a 240 ton max weight, anything over this brings a financial penalty on behalf of airlines and against Airbus

Bloomberg

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
You always get problems with new aircraft and the article points out that weight saving materials are to be progressively worked into the airframe, which I read was the plan before the project was launched so it might not be the big deal it could be (if they don't get it right!)

I see the Boeing bods got stuck in like hyenas finding a dead antelope

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
According to a report in Bloomberg news the A-380 is 1.7% over its contract weight. The aircraft is touted as being much more efficient than boeings 747 due to lighter weight/per passenger carried, longer range.

The weight penalty if not removed will reduce passenger load by 48 and shorten the range due to higher fuel consumption, negating much of its advantage over Boeings 747. (LMAO!)

The contracts call for a 240 ton max weight, anything over this brings a financial penalty on behalf of airlines and against Airbus

Bloomberg

- You know, this is very funny. Let's get a little perspective, huh?

Here's a little challenge for you......

....go back to the introduction of the 747 and tell us how overweight it was when it first entered service.

Why not rhyme off all the miles of comment about how the 747 was so grossly overweight and below spec that it almost broke Boeing - and took them years to fix.....hell, took them YEARS to get anywhere near 1.7% overweight! LMAO.

1.7% is a figure Boeing would have killed for at the start of the 747's flying career. I know people who worked on the 747 and I can promise you that you are so wide of the mark.

Then try and consider the progress made between the 1st 747's and the last versions - and project a reasonable improvment onto the A380.

Tell you what, bring it up to date, tell us about Boeing's problems getting the 777 in to spec and at the advertised weights!

HA!

The answer - no matter what your fantasies - is not going to be 'sticking' to the old Boeing 747 my friend. Get over it. The USA ducked out and is not in this. End of.

I see the Boeing bods got stuck in like hyenas finding a dead antelope

- That's about the size of it Waynos.....except for the fact that the 'antelope' isn't even there never mind dead!

[edit on 17-7-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

join