It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Go AWOL

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

If you can't beat them, run.

That's what a total of 49 Democratic legislators in Wisconsin and Indiana have done, walking away from their jobs in protest over bills that would strip or curb the collective bargaining powers of public-sector unions.

Link

So this is want the democrats have become? Running away?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Since the Dems got voted out and can't win by numbers they resort to turning tail and running. Typical.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

I believe the term Fleebaggers has a nice ring to it.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
yet another low in american politics, I would be very angry if I had voted for anyo of these people.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
By them leaving the state does that mean they dont want the job? If they cant take the pressure then why run for public office, when a challenge arises you face it head on you dont tuck tail and run. Leaving the state is the same thing as quitting, if I left my job in the middle of the day I would get fired so they should too. This whole I cant get my way so ill just leave attitude is one thing that is wrong with our political leaders.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The Dems should go on record and vote NO for the bill. If the people of Wisconsin agree it will be reflected in the next popular vote.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
While everyone is yelling about the Wisconsin thing I would like to point at that 86% of the supposed freedom loving tea party conservatives voted for the freedom destroying patriot act.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Hardly a new political tactic. No different than 100 other tricky things both parties do to avoid a vote, throughout history and today.

Wisconsin legislators aren't the first to walk out, leave town

(CNN) -- This week's bitter budget showdown in Wisconsin isn't the first time state legislators have fled a state, left a building or refused to show when votes were called.

The "Killer Ds" and the "Texas 11," for example, skedaddled from Texas in 2003 to prevent consideration of a redistricting bill.

In 1839, a young Abraham Lincoln, serving as a Whig in the Illinois House, jumped out of the building in a futile bid to prevent Democrats from getting a quorum to vote on a banks bill.

Members of the 1891 Florida Senate went to Georgia in a bid to prevent a quorum for the election of a U.S. senator.

And in 1994, Republican members of the California Assembly refused to show up for floor sessions in an effort to prevent Democrats from electing Willie Brown as speaker with less than a majority vote.

I bet there are lots of other examples that have occurred during less focused times, too.

P.S. Maybe try thinking and posting in a more non-partisan way. ATS, the country, and the world would be much better off for it.
edit on 2/23/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

if you want to talk about the patriot act then create a new thread otherwise stick to the topic

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ancient Champion

I applaud them.

They are defending people who signed on to a contract, and now Governor Bozo thinks he can void it. A contract IS a contract. This needs to go to court.

They have agreed to all cuts imposed.

Why attempt to remove collective bargaining as well? To bust the unions.

The funny thing is that this idiot governor is the one who caused the "crisis" through stupid and unwise measures he pushed - probably with an eye to doing this exact same thing.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Republican, Democrat whatever. Associated with the current political system, they need to go. It's a cowardly thing to do, but you can't rip on someone too much for standing up(and running) in what they believe in, but our "democratic" process is NOT the place to be doing this.

top topics

join