It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Changin Union Regulations: Not Union-Busting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
We can all agree that the Unions have done very good in our past. They do hold onto some degree of relevancy today, but not in the way that they used to.

If all states would pass similar laws as the ones I am about to post, the Unions would still be functional for what they need to be functional for, yet neutered, as to not becoming the unwieldy beast that they are today.

*Require every union to file yearly with the secretary of state, detailed reports concerning its organization, affiliations, and finances.

*Unions must send to the secretary of state, within twenty days after their execution, all work agreements that provided for collection by the employer of dues and other payments for the union.

*Unions may not make any charge or exaction or receive money for fees, dues, fines, or assessments that will create a fund in excess of the reasonable requirements of the union.

*Unions may not make financial contributions to any political party or to campaign expenses of any individual.

*They are required to keep itemizations of all expenditures and receipts and to make such accounts open to inspection of any member and, subject to approval of the attorney general, to enforcement officers

*Expulsion of a member by a union may be only for good cause after public hearing within the union.

*Labor unions may be held liable in damage for loss resulting to a person or firm from picketing or strike by its members when such action is held to be breach of contract by a court of competent jurisdiction.

*Public employees are not forbidden to organize or to join labor unions, but it is against declared public policy for any official or officials of the state or any of its political subdivisions to enter into a collective bargaining contract with a labor organization respecting wages, hours, or condition of employment of public employees.

*No person may be denied public employment because of membership or non membership in a labor organization.

*Fees, dues, fines, and assessments that may be collected by unions are limited by regulations as to control, use, and reasonableness.

*Checkoff of union dues by an employer is allowed only upon written authorization by the member paying dues.

edit on 2/22/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
S & F

Sounds fair to me.

Good ideas!

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
S & F

Sounds fair to me.

Good ideas!

Those are the Texas laws.

Wonder how many Union folks I can get to get in here and tell me why these are not doable?

Probably none

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Should Corporations be held to the same standard?

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well of course not, because if they did it might appear that we have checks and balances in place and deny the wealthy corporations more power and influence than they already have. Now we wouldn't want that would we? It's such a shame our founders put checks and balances in place when they wrote the constitution to declare our UNION of states.

edit on 2/23/1111 by NoAngel2u because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Should Corporations be held to the same standard?

Kind of.

Let me expound a bit.

Most of the laws would make no sense for a corporation. But the ones that I feel would make sense are as follows:

*Require every union to file yearly with the secretary of state, detailed reports concerning its organization, affiliations, and finances.

- Sure. I do not see how this is a problem.

*Unions may not make any charge or exaction or receive money for fees, dues, fines, or assessments that will create a fund in excess of the reasonable requirements of the union.

- I do not agree with this for corporations. The point of business is to provide a service, and make a profit. This goes against the free market and capitalism.

*Unions may not make financial contributions to any political party or to campaign expenses of any individual.

-Completely agree. Corporations should stay out of the political arena. That is for people to voice their opinions. no one else.

*They are required to keep itemizations of all expenditures and receipts and to make such accounts open to inspection of any member and, subject to approval of the attorney general, to enforcement officers

-Agree. As a safeguard to make sure rules are being followed.
edit on 2/23/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/23/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

top topics

join