It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican to launch Astrological Website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
This is very interersting. Considering the biclering we have had on this site recently regarding God vs Science, it is refreshing to see the largest religious institution in the world take a fresh look at science.

Where there are scientifically proven explanations for things, the Church says they should be accepted. Where there are not, then faith may have a role.

This statement reminds me of the old addage that god fills in the gaps which science can not explain. This has been used as an explanation for why the relgions are becoming less and less influential in our world, as our scientific understanding grows, god must therefore shrink!

Rather than taking blind faith, wihch is blind to the conclusions of modern day science, this mixture of science and faith seems rather refreshing. I must add at this point that I am not a man of faith, I follow no specific religion. But having read yesterday a link which was posted on this forum, which insisted that the unverse was created 6000 years ago, in 6 days, that modern day science beleives that the sun ejected rock which are the planets, and that all modern day astrology is the work of the devil, this new openess by the church is more than a little bit welcom!

In the centre of Rome you can still see the statue of Giordano Bruno. He was a Dominican friar who was burned at the stake in 1600 for suggesting the universe was infinite.

Galileo, the 17th Century astronomer and mathematician, also found himself in hot water with the Church for claiming that the Earth revolved around the sun.

Of course, a nerd has never burned a theologian at the stake for denying science. But is is interesting to see this new acceptance of science by the church. I will watch with interest.

There are those who say this is all part of a warm up for eventual disclosure of bigger things. What do you guys think?

Link to external article is here www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 20-2-2011 by Shamatt because: forgot to add link!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Your title should say "Astronomical" rather than "Astrological".

There is actually a big difference.

Astronomy is the science of the stars.

Astrology is using star positions for divination purposes.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Coming from the Catholic Church this is really odd. Typically, in the past, they have gone to great lengths to discredit the sciences and the people that adhere to them. It's like they have slowly lost grip of the stranglehold they've had on Humanity.

My question is, why does it have to be Science or God? Why can't both coincide?

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Your title should say "Astronomical" rather than "Astrological".

There is actually a big difference.

Astronomy is the science of the stars.

Astrology is using star positions for divination purposes.

I know there is - I often get my labels mixed up though, dislexia sucks!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord
Coming from the Catholic Church this is really odd. Typically, in the past, they have gone to great lengths to discredit the sciences and the people that adhere to them. It's like they have slowly lost grip of the stranglehold they've had on Humanity.

My question is, why does it have to be Science or God? Why can't both coincide?

Your answer is in the origional post

"Where there are scientifically proven explanations for things, the Church says they should be accepted. Where there are not, then faith may have a role."

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CordDragonzord

I don't find it odd at all. The Vatican has had its own astronomical observatory, in present form since 1871. Currently it has telescopes in Italy and Arizona, USA.

www.vaticanobservatory.org...
edit on 20-2-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: Added link

posted on Aug, 11 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

top topics

join