It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coalition may put clocks forward two hours ( UK )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Coalition may put clocks forward two hours

www.telegraph.co.uk

A new 'tourism strategy', to be published by the Coalition within days, is expected to contain plans to move the country to 'double summertime', The Sunday Telegraph has learned.

Putting the clocks forward by an hour to British Summer Time +1 (equivalent to Greenwich Mean Time +2) would mean lighter evenings in the summer months, but darker mornings.

The plan already has influential support among Conservative MPs, safety campaigners and environmentalists. Supporters believe it would boost outdoor events, particularly in late summer when the nights
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-2-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This fantastic news is long long overdue , I just hope they carry it on through the winter.

It was not clear last night whether the proposals would mean a two-hour shift every spring and autumn, or whether winter time would also advance from GMT to GMT+1, bringing Britain into line with most of the European continent year-round.
I am an active person and enjoy getting back from work and going out for a bike ride . Problem is as the nights draw in me and many other people don't get the required daylight to do outdoor activities after work. The extra two hours of daylight will mean more people getting off their arses and outside instead of parking their butts in front of the tv all night. Of course there will be benefits to the environment as people will not put lights and heating on until later and for a shorter time. This is a win win situation both good for people and the environment. I hope they carry it on into the winter months then school children will get a couple of hours of daylight to go out and play before darkness descends. This has got to be better for them than vegging in front of an x box.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

All I am thinking is for the first few days after the change, there will be a few less hours in bed.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

That is a price easily worth paying, when this is up and running it maybe permanent no more clock changing ever again.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Let's do this across the world! I'm for it!

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Ridiculous... The only thing it does when they do the time changes is mess up peoples sleep.. Glad they dont do that here we stay on same time year around.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I just say we do away with time, clocks, and work all together then the only thing left is play time.

Do I hear a second?

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Ahhhhhh! its so cute....playing god for the lame

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Go look up the history of Daylight Savings Time and the like. You'll see that they were only ever intended for wartime use. They've got absolutely no use in a world that isn't operating on full war production.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
I just say we do away with time, clocks, and work all together then the only thing left is play time.

Do I hear a second?

Isn't that what what most Xbox and Playstation users do already lol

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
This was beta tested in Eastern Canada a decade or two ago.
It was unpopular to say the least and was subsequently scrapped.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I can accurately forcast a rise in automobile accidents on the morning commute.
Also perhaaps muggings of people in the morning hours will rise also.
The idea will cause many other sleep deprivation accidents too.
Two hours os just too much sleep to donate to the goverments wish tomake things easier for itself and its clients the corporations.
Since when is man the sole property of the goverment?What gives these people the right to alter our lives in such a major fashion without at least a referendum country wide.
Its high time we got a say!

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by stirling

I can accurately forcast a rise in automobile accidents on the morning commute.

Maybe but that will be offset by the reduction of crashes in the evenings commute.

Also perhaaps muggings of people in the morning hours will rise also.

More muggings take place at night time especially when the muggers have had a drink most muggers don't get out of bed until mid day.

The idea will cause many other sleep deprivation accidents too.

This idea is not tangible after a few days most people will have adjusted and the clocks may never move again so that means less sleep deprivation. It also means that instead of the summer sun waking you up at 4 am it will be an hour later.

Two hours os just too much sleep to donate to the goverments wish tomake things easier for itself and its clients the corporations.

What ?

Since when is man the sole property of the goverment?What gives these people the right to alter our lives in such a major fashion without at least a referendum country wide.Its high time we got a say!
Good point but they would find overwhelming support for it. They have also done extensive research into the matter. As said before it was put in place for farmers in the war no longer applicable.

edit on 20-2-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
This was beta tested in Eastern Canada a decade or two ago.
It was unpopular to say the least and was subsequently scrapped.

The UK is NOT Canada. Different latitudes for most of the country. Sure the Scots might not like it but the south will benefit enormously. In my opinion Scotland should have its own timezone given the distance north it is from the far south of the UK.

top topics

join