It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The laser eraser: Scientists invent device that totally cancels out a powerful beam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

The laser eraser: Scientists invent device that totally cancels out a powerful beam

www.dailymail .co.uk

It sounds like the latest weapon cooked up by scientists at the Pentagon.
Researchers have created the world’s first ‘anti-laser’ which can completely cancel out a laser beam.
The device traps the incoming beam of light then forces it to bounce around until all its energy has gone before being absorbed.
But instead of being put to use by the military, the anti-laser is being eyed by computer experts as a way to make the next generation of computers run faster.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I would be very surprised if this article has not already been posted but the search came up with no results.

Anyway my first thoughts were shielding for missiles. At present this is still a pipe dream, but if ever there was a use for laser shielding, missile tech is the front runner in my mind.

As you can see in the article the laser's energy is transferred to heat, as per the laws of physics it must go somewhere. However the project is still in it's infancy, and who is to say in a few years missile warheads could not be developed with this shielding coupled with heat dissipators to prevent heat damage to the electronics.

An interesting article with apparent implications for improving the operation of computers. We shall see where this goes in the future.

www.dailymail .co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This is wierd because I stumbled upon some research from 2003 involving a partical accelerator which led t o a story about the 43rd element which is an odd element...that's all folks.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging LonerAnyway my first thoughts were shielding for missiles. At present this is still a pipe dream, but if ever there was a use for laser shielding, missile tech is the front runner in my mind.

Cover the nose cone with optical-quality mirror. Problem solved.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Is this new device called a smokescreen? Any solid particles in the air will deteriorate a laser.

top topics

join