It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Copy-Paste Minister

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I thought germans were strict. Well it seems they have exceptions too.

Germany’s beleaguered Defence Minister Karl-Theodor zu Guttenberg temporarily dropped his PhD title on Friday amid claims of plagiarism.

German media outlets have come forward with parts of the thesis which they say are of questionable origin, but zu Guttenberg denies deliberately copying parts of his law dissertation.

He cancelled a key election rally in Saxony-Anhalt on Thursday but this morning he defended his actions.

www.euronews.net...

Sorry that video is in german.
edit on 18-2-2011 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
When I was going through university in Australia plagiarism was a big issue and taken very seriously. There is nothing wrong with using parts of other peoples work, it is how we all learn and study. The issues arise when you fail to acknowledge it and try to claim it as your own work. To get to the level of Phd he was very familiar with this practice. When you have a title of Phd people expect a lot, anyone can use goggle. It does not just reflect on him, but on the university as well as they either maintain their standards or just provide money order services.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but quoting and paraphrasing are things I learned in hghschool in Brazil. And a minister in Germany has plagiarised in his phd thesis? Wow... I wonder if that says more about Germany's education or Germany's politicians...

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
When the scandal first started, the guy suddenly felt the need to make an unannounced visit to the troupes in Afghanistan
and left without a comment. Politicians...

Yesterday even though he supposedly renounced the Dr. title, some official web pages still had his name with Dr. in front.

This is really an insult to the public, to the German academia, to everyone who worked hard for an academic title.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Who knows how much people all over the world do that too. I think the problem starts when you become important, everybody will check your profile and backround. Probably in those days, he never thought one day he'll be a minister.

top topics

join