It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama proposes fee for Canadian visitors to the U.S. in draft budget

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Has Obama completely lost his mind? As a Canadian this REALLY makes me angry. Canada is the USA's biggest trading partner and this is what the American government is considering doing to one of the few friends it has left??
Charging us a fee/tax to enter your country? I understand that the US economy is pretty much screwed, but this will do nothing to improve that fact and all it will essentially do is really piss off your northern neighbors.
Maybe Canada should start charging all American air and sea travelers a fee as well. I mean it's only fair right?
I really doubt this will pass however as even that piece of crap Harper is against it.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

I feel that the future of Canada as a nation is in grave danger as of lately.
The London stock exchange deal (where the London exchange will own over 50% of the Toronto stock exchange) I guess being owned by that lizard the Queen we are open season for pillaging.

The borders ecurity deal with the US which will see Canada hand over our resources more easily in exhange for US security on our borders.. YAY!!! TSA scanners will be here soon.

I guess the NAU plan is being implemented and once in place we will join the EU and become one big happy family of poor peasants.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Haha its simple... most of us Canadian's wouldnt mind what they do, we will just travel elsewhere hahah lets see the U.S President economy crash.. lol its actually cheaper to fly to the U.K or mexico ...been to the usa many many times.. but if they start charging a fee.. lol forget it... I will stop purchaing u.s products... we may be passive Canucks.. but her shifty and wirey that way...
oh.. P.S Dont make us send Celine Dion back to you guys for another 20 years!! she is our weapon of mass destruction .. lol
edit on 18-2-2011 by darrylss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Visitors from Canada, Mexico and a number of Caribbean countries are currently exempt from "passenger inspection fees."

Not just Canada.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Maybe he just hates the Raptors!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nepafogo

I'm still ticked off that Bush required American citizens to purchase passports or citizen cards just to visit our neighbors to the north. My wife has relatives in Toronto which we used to visit often, but it became a hassle last year because we were required to purchase these government money making passport cards. We had to wait 3 weeks last summer until we could travel again to Canada. By the time they arrived, we had to cancel are planned trip. I think we had to pay 75.00 for each passport card ($300 for a family of 4). I think whenever they start charging to cross the border or require passport cards, it reduces the amount of travel and tourism money between the two countries.

We always used to take vacations up in Canada. Canadians are so friendly and I really enjoy the diversity of cultures and their great restaurants and Italian bakeries! If they start taxing Canadians for visiting the states, the retail business in states with no tax on clothing will see a huge drop in business. If the U.S. starts taxing, you know Canada will also follow through with a tax of their own. The government always wants to find ways to drain the pockets of their citizens, eh!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Just post TSA employees on the Canadian border. They will "collect" the "fee" from those Canadians crossing into the US.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by darrylss
Haha its simple... most of us Canadian's wouldnt mind what they do, we will just travel elsewhere hahah lets see the U.S President economy crash.. lol its actually cheaper to fly to the U.K or mexico ...been to the usa many many times.. but if they start charging a fee.. lol forget it... I will stop purchaing u.s products... we may be passive Canucks.. but her shifty and wirey that way...
oh.. P.S Dont make us send Celine Dion back to you guys for another 20 years!! she is our weapon of mass destruction .. lol
edit on 18-2-2011 by darrylss because: (no reason given)

We have such a large country that we really have everything we need here, unless it's sunshine we seek in the winter, which in that case there's always Jamaica, the Bahamas, or even Cuba - because Canada is still the land of the free, we can travel there too if we want....

Harper already said that he would not charge Americans to come into Canada, because he thought it was a silly way for the states to get extra revenue....

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
A few days ago Congress brings up how they want to deploy military along the Canada/US boarder to keep out Islamic terrorist, and now Obama wants to change Canadians for crossing the boarder? I haven't actually researched this hunch, but I bet ever since the US went to hell in a knock-off made in China handbag, the number of Canadian visitors have probably dwindled especially given the insane customs now.

Why on earth, especially since things have been and will continue to get progressively worse in the USA, Canadians living in the best/strongest country in the world pay an added fee on top of customs just to go to the USA? You don't pay money to go sightseeing at the garbage dump do you? No.

Is this because our dollar is higher, and will continue to heighten? Is it because Canadian citizens as a whole aren't in sky high debt? Or is it because the US has just realized they failed?

Sure add a fee, Canada is already giving the USA every single resource they need to survive. Without Canada the USA will cease to exist, and this just proves their dependency on Canada(not the other way around either) even more because now they need their money too.

Fail US Gov. You failed.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by loagun
Sure add a fee, Canada is already giving the USA every single resource they need to survive. Without Canada the USA will cease to exist, and this just proves their dependency on Canada(not the other way around either) even more because now they need their money too.

Wow, now that's the funniest thing I've read in quite a while. If it wasn't for Canada, the US would just disappear?

Full of yourself?

How many Canadians visit the US? How much money would actually be collected from this little project? Considering how much debt Obama dumped on us, I bet it's a drop in the bucket.

Consider just another stupid idea from the Obama Presidency.

Still, I get a chuckle out of your comment, "Without Canada the USA would cease to exist." That's a rib-tickler. Gonna be here all weekend, and should I try the roast beef? And I promise to tip my waiter.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
No, no, my Canadian friends, you've misunderstood what will happen. Americans will sit at the border and sing, "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?"

ahem....may I?

They used to tell me I was building a dream, and so I followed the mob,
When there was earth to plow, or guns to bear, I was always there right on the job.
They used to tell me I was building a dream, with peace and glory ahead,
Why should I be standing in line, just waiting for bread?

Once I built a railroad, I made it run, made it race against time.
Once I built a railroad; now it's done. Brother, can you spare a dime?
Once I built a tower, up to the sun, brick, and rivet, and lime;
Once I built a tower, now it's done. Brother, can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, gee we looked swell,
Full of that Yankee Doodly Dum,
Half a million boots went slogging through Hell,
And I was the kid with the drum!

Say, don't you remember, they called me Al; it was Al all the time.
Why don't you remember, I'm your pal? Buddy, can you spare a dime?

Once in khaki suits, gee we looked swell,
Full of that Yankee Doodly Dum,
Half a million boots went slogging through Hell,
And I was the kid with the drum!

Say, don't you remember, they called me Al; it was Al all the time.
Say, don't you remember, I'm your pal? Buddy, can you spare a dime?

...lyrics by Yip Harburg, music by Jay Gorney (1931)

And please, don't drop Canadian money into our tin cups! I used to hate coming home with your money as a kid, as no one here would take it...unless I could fool them good.

I've signed up to be a busker at a small crossing in Washington! See you there!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

I am talking about as of now. I am not full of myself, but the facts are that Canada has the strongest economy, banking, and financial system in the world, and is the only country that has continued to grow quarterly since the beginning of the global recession in 2007. The US has remained the only country since the start of the global recession in 2007 that has progressively gotten worse, and not shown any signs of improvement what so ever. Fact also being that the USA has accumulated the largest debt in recorded history, and that it's over Federal Government is shareholder to the biggest part of that debt which clearly proves there is now way the US could ever possibly to a fraction of the economic power it once was.

As fact to date, Canada supplies over the half of continental USA with the resources water, oil, natural gas, and electricity. Not to mention that Canada is the largest supplier of these goods to the USA by far then any other nation on Earth. Even the amount of oil the USA buys from China originates out of Alberta before crossing the ocean, and then back again after the USA purchases it.

My comment is in no way about being 'full of myself', but thus stating fact. If Canada needed the USA as much as the USA needs Canada, then Canada would have been worse off then the USA, but that is not the reality now is it?.....

Reality is that Canada supplies everything the US nation of 400 million+ people need to live the lives they have woven for themselves. This makes it a fact that the US is now dependent on Canadian resources to survive. The US could also never get the same amount anywhere else, nor afford to at this stage in it's fall.

So yes, when I say dependent referencing to the fact that if Canada pulled the plug, half the USA would crumple in a matter of days, I indeed mean, d.e.p.e.n.d.e.n.t.

It's not about ignorance and American and living in the 1990s. It's about where the USA has fallen to in 2011. and how Canada is supply the life support while also being in bed with China, Russia, Europe, and so forth.

Canada now truly looks down upon the USA.

(all comments are made in reference between governments, and yes those ignorant people living in the past).

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by nepafogo

While I completely agree with what your sayin, you do know this already happens right? When you cross the border, say in Michigan, you have to pay the stupid 2 dollar+ to cross the bridge.

If there is a few that goes to the support and upkeep of the border crossing area (bridge/tunnel) thats one thing. Chargin an entrance fee is rediculous in the manner Obama is wanting. Actually I thinks its crazy to be reqquired to have a passport to enter Canada or Canadians to enter the US.

Just recently the US and Canada signed the border security agreement, which allows military units the ability to cross each others borders in the event of a mass disaster (whomever is closer to the affected area setup). It also created a new, and unprecedented, change for the US Coast Guard and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP). In the Pacific Northwest, and the Great Lakes (these are the testing areas) those 2 agencies are dualed comissioned now.

If there is an event in Canadian waters, and the US Coast Guard is the closest vessel, they can cross into Canadian waters and actually work the call, up to and including making an arrest. Once in Canaian Waters, the Coast Gaurd becomes RCMP with full authority, and fall under RCMP / Canadian laws.

The RCMP is extended the same courtesy when in American Waters, where they become US Coast Guard and can enforce US laws.

Although on a sarcastic note, it can be spun as a cover charge to the party

The US is the party and Canada is like the parents trying to sleep upstairs
j/k of course.

We are more than just allies, and since 9/11 we seem to be putting a wedge between Canada and the US.
edit on 19-2-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

And please, don't drop Canadian money into our tin cups! I used to hate coming home with your money as a kid, as no one here would take it...unless I could fool them good.

So sad what your government has done to the US dollar. I'm old enough to remember when the Cdn dollar was only worth 72 cents compared to yours. Now the US dollar has been devalued to the point where the Cdn dollar has sat over $1.01 or more for quite some time now. It's expected to stay that way at least until the US is working properly again. I don't see that happening soon.

Would you like some Chinese yuan instead?

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
reply to post by desert

So sad what your government has done to the US dollar. I'm old enough to remember when the Cdn dollar was only worth 72 cents compared to yours. Now the US dollar has been devalued to the point where the Cdn dollar has sat over $1.01 or more for quite some time now. It's expected to stay that way at least until the US is working properly again. I don't see that happening soon.

Would you like some Chinese yuan instead?

Hahaha lol oh thanks for making that post, it gave me a good laugh.I am obviously Canadian so that made it even funnier lol. 'would you like come Chinese instead?' lol.

top topics

join