It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan cancels whaling season due to group's obstruction, official says

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by lavenlaar

The "Ady Gil" is the ships name and here's a video of it being rammed as it was filmed by the "Bob Barker".

There was probably some dispute at first over who rammed who. I think this video clears that up.

Here's the same event filmed from the Japanese Whaling ship

This is what was filmed by the crew. Ends just as the boat is being hit.

-ChriS

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

an interesting article regarding a possible connection between nasa and japans 'research' of whales.

www.bbc.co.uk...
look for the nasa paragraph
regards f

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

I had no idea that Nasa used sperm whale oil for lubrication. What the heck? Unfortunately, it isn't cited.

Space Oil

When NASA discovered that sperm whale oil did not freeze in outer space, they used it as a lubricant in their space programme, including the ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) for expeditions to the Moon and Mars, where the surface temperature is very cold indeed. The discovery was so significant that Sir Patrick Moore devoted a whole programme of The Sky At Night to talk about the implications, and invited marine biologists and cetacean experts to join the discussion.

I think the part about Japan's whaling was good too.

Japan

The IWC received a proposal in 2005 from the Japanese whaling research programme to almost double its catch of minke whales and start hunting humpback and fin whales. Every year Japan already kills hundreds of sperm whales, minke whales, sei whales and Bryde's whales4. Over 90% of the female minke whales caught and killed in 2005 were pregnant.

Officially, Japan only hunts whales for scientific purposes, but as far as anybody actually knows, the only scientific experiments involved are what happens when a harpoon interacts with a whale. Additionally, any whale that is killed in a science experiment has to be disposed of. Whale meat costs about the same as pork or beef in Japan, so the next step is to dispose of the remains via the food chain, a market valued at four billion yen (£18million) per annum.

There is a need to increase whale-hunting activities in order to analyse the ecosystem of the Antarctic Ocean.
- Kyodo news agency bulletin.

Izu is the third peninsula from the right on the bottom of the main island of Japan and once a year the fishermen round up all the sea mammals in their area and kill them with spears and clubs.

4 Billion Yen per Year!! Just from selling the whale meat. This is proof that Japan has a vested interst in killing the whales. There is no "scientific research" being conducted, whatsoever. Plus, who knows how many whales Japan has killed already. Conducting the same experiment over and over does not serve any valid scientific purpose. Yes, a harpoon will penetrate a whale. That was established long before Japan even started this little "science project" of theirs.

Of coarse, it would be more believable if they weren't making piles of cash for whale parts.

I had no idea Japan made so much money by whaling, alone.

I think that dollar amount is also proof of how effective the Sea Shepherd has been. However, I also don't think Japan is willing to just let that money go. It can't be that easy. I expect Japan will continue some whaling operations and attempt to do it covertly. With the industry as big as it is, even if they only get a few whales they'll be worth a heck of alot more, per whale, since the supply is much lower and the demand stays the same.

-ChriS
edit on 20-2-2011 by BlasteR because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BlasteR

i read a friends book on whales in the early ninties which connected nasa with the japanese whaling industry. of particular interest was a region inside the whale about the size of a bathtub. this area of liquid it was claimed was used by the whale to form a kind of 3d image of the surrounding area, thus enabling the whale to map out the sub landscape. this liquid if i remember correctly became the most expensive commodity due to its viscosity and temperature resistance.
the scientific excuse of studying harpoon interaction with the whale is tragic to say the least.
furthermore a documentary exposing the round up and slaughter of sea mammals in a cove in japan was shown on tv recently. it was horrific. some of the activists involved in uncovering this barbaric practice suffered violence and threats but carried on installing cameras to document the operation. they deserve medals. one more note to add. the meat was packaged and sold in the supermarkets. it was contaminated and many people suffered illnesses whilst being completely unaware of its origin. it was given to infants in schools. i will try and find a link on this.
regards f

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 04:05 AM
link   
www.google.co.uk... hter-in-cove.html&ei=dDhiTf6HIJL_4wainOXUCQ&usg=AFQjCNEuyuPouc4Df12YFZaorzIMOctT0A

regards f

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Good.

It is about high time the Japanease were forced to stop,this hanious crimes against Whales. They are going instinct. this science cover is just to consume the whales for food nothing else.

I congradulate those activists whom fought these criminals tooth and nail. This is one cause I support.

STOP THE KILLINGS OF THE WHALES ON THIS PLANET NOW!

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
www.greenpeace.org...

these statistics are quite shocking considering the 40 year 'ban' although there are other concerns regarding pollution.
f

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join