It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The voice of the Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Reddit - the place where you can hear the voice of the Machine. Everybody is joking, but everybody is convinced of the idea that "this is how it must be, this is the only way, everything else is a failure, we just need to work more to succeed!"

With you I grieve, when on the darker side
Of this great change I look; and there behold
Such outrage done to nature as compels
The indignant power to justify herself. . . .
Then, in full many a region, once like this
The assured domain of calm simplicity
And pensive quiet, an unnatural light
Prepared for never-resting Labour's eyes
Breaks from a many-windowed fabric huge;
And at the appointed hour a bell is heard-- . . .
A local summons to unceasing toil!. . . .
Men, maidens, youths, Mother and little children, boys and girls,
Enter, and each the wonted task resumes
Within this temple, where is offered upTo Gain, the master idol of the realm,
Perpetual sacrifice.

Link, the end of high-school, and a picture that "sums it up".
Comments:

"The beginning of freedom. The end of freedom."

"My best vacation time was the one between highschool and college. I will never forget it. Something about it had the "true freedom" taste. Not a highschooler, not a college student, not anything. No labels, man!"

Another example of the machine mind

This picture is great in that it really puts things in perspective. I would love to hang this in my office, if I ever felt like complaining, I would just look at it and realize how lucky I am.

Third example of the machine mind

I am an atheist, pro-choice, pro-gay rights, pro-marijuana-minded individual. What the hell are my kids gonna rebel against?

Teenage rebellion. So - common. "It's normal". No it's not.

"Amistad" - this was a ship carrying slaves, and the slaves started a riot. They were able to do that, because Amistad was not a ship, purposefully built to carry slaves.

It was an ordinary ship. They probably had room to stand up, etc. If they would have adopted the Reddit machine mind, they would have said "we are so lucky!", and done nothing. Reddit was born on this slave ship. It knows nothing else. They look at other slave ships, and say "we are lucky, look at them, stop protesting, work, work, work!"

Gaviotas

Gaviotas is a village of about 200 people in Colombia, South America. For three decades, Gaviotans - peasants, scientists, artists, and former street kids - have struggled to build an oasis of imagination and sustainability in the remote, barren savannas of eastern Colombia, an area ravaged by political terror. They have planted millions of trees, thus regenerating an indigenous rainforest. They farm organically and use wind and solar power. Every family enjoys free housing, community meals, and schooling. There are no weapons, no police, no jail. There is no mayor.

200 people. No mayor, no judge, no police. Everybody has a house (none of them are in debt because of it), and there are no "poor". How do they do it ? Why "we" the majority cannot have what they have ? Because - they are no longer "human resources", they are just humans.

What a little escape from the machine does to people

"Dude my parents did the same thing one summer I went to brush ranch camp in NM. My dad got there and was like "This is basically day care WTF" then he found Camp Keewaydin in canada it was 6 weeks of living out of canoe no electricity or anything not even watches, the first week I cried like a bitch cause I was homesick by the end I was refusing to leave. It was the most influential and just amazing thing I have done."

Prisoner exchange
edit on 17-2-2011 by pai mei because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

am i alone here,, is this just gibberish???

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pai mei

What? What are you on about? I'm confused as to your point here.

And we've all heard the voice of the machine. Watson sounds curiously like Stephen Hawking.....

I sense a conspiracy there.....

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

And none of the links work, so I can't even try to piece together the intent of the post.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Read the links. The first one about the "machine"... If you don't, yes this does not make sense. It's like me trying to teach something more advanced to someone who does not know how to read.

Sorry, now they work

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei
Read the links. The first one about the "machine"... If you don't, yes this does not make sense. It's like me trying to teach something more advanced to someone who does not know how to read.

We can't. None of them work.

Edit to add: Ah, fixed now. Thanks!
edit on 17-2-2011 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
And "my solution":

paimei01.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
What are people spouting commericalism new way way to resell things to keep a broken grid going let it collaspe
that will be natural

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
did you just advertise your own blog?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Here is another solution www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by okamitengu
did you just advertise your own blog?

Yes, I also have it in my signature. I don't have any commercials on my blog, so I consider it's ok. Else I would not have dared to link it. Endless discussion could follow - "He linked it to get more visitors to make money". I get no money from it. Do I need to rename my blog or something, so you don't know it's mine when I link ? Then - I also could put advertising on it.

About solutions - you need direct access to the basics of life. Meaning - you hunt, you eat, or you farm - you eat. And - in an environment where people can cooperate and obtain what they need more easily. Not compulsory - but the access must be there. If you want to obtain your basics - by working for someone else - you are free to do that.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Read the links people, it's well worth your time.
There is some real knowledge contained here.
The premise IMO is finding our right relation with nature and each other and how modern society is actually ass-backwards when it comes to progress.
Next time though you should explain a bit more in your introduction what the material you are presenting is all about.

We are NOT machines and a world of machines is trying to make us conform to them and their needs. Do people not see this happening?
You are asking the most fundamental questions of our existence: Who are we? What are we supposed to be? What is life all about? How does man fit in with nature?

Thanks for those links - some great reading in there, much of which I firmly agree with.
I'll star and flag this one and I saved the links for further reading - Thank you.

Cheers, ATA

new topics

top topics

join