It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists boost perception using rhythmic transcranial magnetic stimulation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
From University of Glasgow

Issued: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 17:00:00 GMT Researchers at the University of Glasgow and University College London (UCL) have, for the first time, enhanced visual perception through rhythmic transcranial magnetic stimulation (rTMS) of the brain. The team led by Dr Gregor Thut in the Centre for Neuroimaging at the Institute of Psychology & Neurosciences at Glasgow together with colleagues at UCL have shown that rTMS boosts the perception of specific visual stimuli among competing information, when applied at specific frequencies. All brain processes, including vision, hearing and memory, produce electrical signals – or brainwaves – with specific frequencies.

rTMS involves generating weak electrical currents across the head which can be used to study brain function and connections by generating activity in specific areas.

Previous research using magnetoencephalography (MEG) was consulted to identify the frequency of electrical signals used in visual perception which allowed the scientists to generate rTMS patterns of the same frequency to boost the natural function.

The results showed that giving bursts of rTMS at a beta-frequency (20 Hertz) to the right parietal lobe of the brain – an area known for its implication in visual selection –enhanced local visual processing resulting in better identification of the target letter, while stimulation at theta-frequency (5 Hertz) enhanced global visual processing. Dr Thut said: “We enhance perception using rTMS at biologically relevant frequencies. By showing that perception is shaped through frequency-specific intervention, we are getting closer to understand what is driving our perception”. “Frequency-specific interventions have numerous potential applications such as improving memory and sleep.”

Science in itself is objective. And like a car, the major problems come too often from the driver (negligence, speeding, distraction etc...). Wonder how far this specific discovery will have on the long term.

Oh and one of the most important thing to know»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»»

The research was funded by the Biotechnology & Biological Sciences Research Council and the Wellcome Trust and is published in the latest edition of Current Biology.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
sounds like the visor that jordie wears in the next generation maybe it will help the blind see one day

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

This is really interesting. I've done some research on global/local processing, albeit from a positive psychology approach.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Truly fascinating! The implications of this are endless. Can you imagine being able to see the world around you for what it really is.... without psychiatric enhancing drugs. To take this even to another level, but to shape and mold your own reality. Change the car in the driveway by simple frequency. I wonder how long it is before the good ol' government picks up on this. At least Science is getting closer to understanding the unknown when it comes to the metaphysical side of things. I would like to see what comes of this. Thanks for posting this!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I just want to mention that the changes induced by this technique would be imperceptible. A similar thing occurs when we are in positive and negative moods. A person with a positive affect has greater perception of global stimuli, while a person with a negative affect has greater perception of local stimuli.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, the nerves can also give an electrical input or the brain itself. So MAYBE it can be learned through temporary use of this technique. Kind of bio-feedback.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

Yes thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Extremely interesting subject and one i shall be keeping an eye on.

Icanseeatoms.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Vio1ion

And people doubt others when they say HAARP is capable of mindcontrol?
Good topic.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Heres something you may find interesting.
Atrial Fibrillation www.abovetopsecret.com...

Before you click on my thread.
Atrial fibrillation = Heart condition which also mirrors that of a condition related to Earth itself. I believe Earth is going through a similar explanation or maybe even the very same. Heart=eartH

top topics

join