It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chick-fil-A (Redux): Faith and Factory Farming

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

If Chik-fil-A uses their Christianity, they could just ask other Christians to be willing to pay a little more for their chicken to stay on Gods good side. Thats what Hebrew National hot dogs does.

If Chik-fil-A purchases chickens from factory farms AND 'charges more for their products', then those who purchase from the same factory farms and who make the same type of product but charges 'less then Chik-fil-A', is a way for Chik-fil-A to "stay on Gods good side" I don't get that logic. How is using Christianity, or any religion, for man to profit from ever a good thing to their fellow man, or even a good thing to do in Gods eye's? Sounds more like sinful greed.

Chik-fil-A food is much more costly then any other fast food chain, is why most I know don't eat there so much, especially if they have kids. "They could just ask other Christians to be willing to pay a little more" is exactly what they do for the sake and name of Christianity. All the while laughing all the way to the bank because paying more for a product just because the drive-thru teen may 'possibly' be going to Sunday school every Sunday and grow up to be the next mother Theressa is their 'profitable' marketing plan and that is suppose to be ok?

Why don't they buy from and support family farming and charge less then their competitor's do in the name of Christianity? Wouldn't that be the better way to "stay on Gods good side"?

Maybe I over read this thread or am not seeing something. 1.5cents.
Bzzzzzzz

ps. Is there a sequel to that animation video, it kind of leaves me hangin' at the end!

edit on 2/11/2011 by BuzzingOn because: sp

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Folks, this rabbit hole only goes deeper... when we look at the core of the problem it involves the economics of corporations, which by law put profit over people, never mind animals...

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Damn I Love Nuggets!

On a more serious note.
I think the way we treat animals is pretty bad. All these farms growing unnatural chickens in the name of profit. Just goes to show you how evil money truly can be.

Started reading this book called History of the US and well the first few chapters is about how people use to do the meanest things to Indian and African slaves.And how they tried to keep them enslaved because they could make more profit out of using slaves than doing the job themselves. Well I don't think things have changed much. Not in the sense that we're any less evil than we were back then.

As long as we can profit from something we'll exploit it,enslave it and eventually destroy it. Anyway, I think these factory farms are disgusting to say the least. But with the number of people in the world today it's no surprise. How else are you suppose to keep all those mouths fed?

edit on 11/09/2010 by SlovenlyGhost because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thanks for your well thought out response.

You of all people know the cruelty of factory farming, and according to your response, you practice exactly what you preach. There can never be a perfect solution, but if everyone followed your example, there wouldn't be a problem.

Chick-fil-A could take a stand, cut their profit margin, and actually offer part of their menu as family farmed faire. I'm not suggesting change will come about suddenly. But the more people become aware of such practices, the more likely they will be to make different choices, and those choices will force the industry to adapt.

edit on 11-2-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Thank you. But to pretend that what I do is all that need be done is to ignore the real problem. Not everyone has the amount of land I have to attempt to feed themselves, nor can everyone handle running a mini-farm. It's a lot more involved than just pitching hay to the cows every day like is shown in the movies... there is hard work and serious risk involved. What I do is worth it to me in part because my wife is an animal lover and actually tends to tame the non-meat animals we keep. I... well, she... has four goats who think they're dogs and follow her around like puppies. Not to mention rabbits that actually come when called....

Chick-fil-A could take a stand, cut their profit margin, and actually offer part of their menu as family farmed faire.

Perhaps; perhaps not. That is my main point. Do you even know how much chicken Chik-Fil-A uses in any given time period? I know I don't, but I would imagine it is a huge amount. Is there even enough family-farmed chicken available, at any price, to satisfy that requirement?

There are other questions that we cannot answer... exactly how much would the use of such meat, assuming it is available, raise the price of a sandwich? 5%? 10&? 20%? 50%? 500%? If I were running that business and knew that a $5.00 meal using present products would cost $50.00 using family-farmed meat, I doubt I would choose to follow that business plan.

I can even imagine a corporate investigation into the possibility of using traditional meat as opposed to factory-farmed meat... and a final, disappointing decision that it simply wasn't feasible. Just because there was no press release does not mean no one looked into the possibility.

The only way either of us will know the real story on this situation is to run such an operation ourselves. I personally do not believe the rewards would be enough to cover the costs (not to mention I have no interest in food-related businesses); if you do, perhaps this is your golden opportunity. If you take that challenge on and succeed, please let me know when you open a restaurant in this area; I would love to sample your cuisine.

But please don't automatically assume something is possible without inside knowledge. I ran into that many times when I was running my old design firm... people wanted things that were simply not feasible, and in many cases, wanted them for free. In a few cases, they became angry when I explained it wasn't feasible.

I see much of that same attitude, the only thing I really hated about running that corporation, on this subject.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
These factory farms hurt family farms. The price for me to do anything is unreal the tax is unreal and what little cow money you make isn't really worth but hey its been in the family since they came to America. So when they have the factory farms and enjoy corporate tax breaks and get there feed from the scraps of food plants our small heard walks around the 50 achres they have and play with the balls I leave for them. Sometimes I play with them when the bull ins't in his mood, and these factory farms make it look like our cows have more than one bad day in their lives.

We should go back to homestead farms.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
My sentiments exactly. I never really went into detail on the aditives in the food, and the problems that antibiotics, and processed foods caused for humans.

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow
Oh please, McDonalds is still the poster boy, don't worry. Don't get me wrong...the company really has no obligations, after all, it IS a company. It is just a shame that blind-as-hell right wing evangelicals will gobble down GMO's, HFCS and MSG in a race to the grave/heaven. Evangelical culture is disgustingly ignorant and SHOULD have no place in American politics, the economy e.c.t. but only abstinence will bring its demise.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Good points, (skov) bro.

I don't believe God ever changed his mind to the point where he thought animal cruelty was acceptable. If anyone has proof of this, then by all means, let me know.

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst
Well my friend.... I was a christian once..... a long time ago, ... in a universe far away.

... so i think I can provide some answers in defense of Chick-a-fil. Though you have to remember this is from the point of view of the former christian in me.

I noticed most of your passages are from the old testament..... but I was taught that when The Christ came a new covenant was formed.... and all of the old rules didnt apply anymore. You have to admit, ... as far as the old testament is concerned..... how to treat your animals isnt the strangest thing in there.

Also.... even if you were to take the passages at face value...... no where does it say it is a "sin".... it could be interpreted as merely offering guidance on the matter.

I'm not saying I agree with Chickafil, ... but this is how i would have responded 15 years ago.

..... it's like anyone else in life..... as soon as they start making a little money.... ideals usualy go out the window.

edit on 11-2-2011 by IntastellaBurst because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I don't believe God ever changed his mind to the point where he thought animal cruelty was acceptable. If anyone has proof of this, then by all means, let me know.

Truth be told.... the bible isn't really proof of anything, ... much less gods opinion of factory farming, lol.

But I see how it relates to the Chickfila controversy.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I approach this in a little different manner.. IMO when demand is not there the practice of factory farming will end. Unfortunately we are a lazy and instant gratification demanding society. I can only do what I do for myself and family and here is what I do:
I have a family of 5. We DO NOT eat fast food. We also DO NOT eat store bought meat. I support local farmers and order meat from farms that do not factory farm or inject. This isnt for any animal rights stuff, its for health. I grow my own and buy local for produce.. only very little from a store. I can tell you that this is VERY expensive.. no lie. I choose to spend my money this way rather than vacations or other things that I place lower than the health of my family and myself. We only eat meat a few times a week and buy in bulk to be frozen. Most families I know think that meat is necessary every night or a few times a day.. its not.

One draw back to this is that if you are low income.. this is impossible for you to do. Youll be kept in the rut of buying store bought and supporting the unhappy and unhealthy meat production machine. I really dont know how to get out of this rut for all of us... nor do I know how to provide more healthy and safe foods for everyone regardless of income. It would take a complete govt and economic overhaul.. and I dont see that happening soon. It does seem to me that it is a self sustaining cycle.. but the one thing that EVERYONE can do regardless of income is **stop buying fast food.** Take the time to prepare and prepare in advance healthy complete meals for yourself and yoru family.... fast food is over priced, unhealthy, wasteful, and I dont see how all of these "low income" people exist on fast food in the first place.

Just my opinion.. everyone does what they can live with. I can live with what Im doing and its 99% for my health.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
From my perspective, this goes right along with the whole "We don't test on animals" debate that happened two decades ago. Once the public realized the horrors that went along with animal testing, they balked at buying products who supported such habits. This is how PETA got their foothold to start with. Now, I'd say there are a lot of people who....given a choice of products....will chose one that ISN'T tested on animals over one that is - especially if the prices are comparable. Some are even willing to pay more (there is a whole formula that goes with this) for those that aren't tested on animals.

So, the same could be said about factory farmed animals and that whole process. If the truth about it is advertised enough, the companies will feel the pressure to stop it or people will pull their business from those companies who engage.

I don't see it so much as Chick Fil A going against its christian morals as much as it is likely that it isn't something that crosses the mind of the average person. Rent in our heads comes at a pretty high premium these days.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join