It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking to buy my first rifle.. Any advice?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I agree with Pt above.
Open sites are somethong you will miss if they aren't there.
You may want to use the scope on another riflle, sell or trade the scope, or just enjoy the use of the iron sites.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
30-06

lever action. power and accuracy.

winchester.

feel the difference. bolt or lever!

you will need the attitude when the SHTF!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cheesefacedogbone

Are you wanting to penatrate uniforms or body armor?

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

ok. I am a bit confused. This package doesn't include the rifle. just the stock I think? The open sights would be on the original rifle, correct?

Im gonna get a .22, (I leaning towards the Ruger) but we have a lot of gun shows around here, and if I find the Mosin on the cheap, Im gonna go ahead and pick one up.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Ok, well, I was under the impression at first that the Romanian version was a quality reproduction, of the Dragunov. Upon further research, I know that is not the case. The Dragunov is irrelevant at this point, its a little out of my price range.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
my suggestion to you would be AK47 you can pick them up for around 349.00 to 450.00 very good gun and they very accurate . they shoot a 7.625x39mm this is what mine resembles has accuracy and style.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Avoid the "package." If you buy a Mosin, just get the rifle and whatever kit comes with the military version. Spend any additional money on better condition, ammunition, and high quality hearing protection. If you want a scope, you can always add one of your choice, later.
If you can, find a buddy with a Mosin and shoot it a few times before you buy anything.

The Ruger 10/22 is a good all purpose rifle and will serve you well. You will be limited to .22LR unless you feed single shots.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Its nice to shoot .22 sometimes. But its really not much of a rifle. I have an old bolt action marlin my gramps taught me on. Its fun for plinking.

I have an AR 15 which i love, and a 12 gauge FNH semi auto. i think if you want an all around great firearm, a 12 gauge is the way to go. Home defense and hunting are well within its abilities.

Another idea is a high point carbine. They come in 9mm, .45, and .40. You could get one for less than 300 dollars, so its also a great place to start.

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesquid

Damn, Thanks for showing me The High Point rifles. That is a badass looking gun for the price.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
if you are getting into guns,go with a 22 rifle.there are allot of them out there.they are good first time rifles.in fact it was one of my first time guns.it has less recoil than most larger caliber rifles.and you can attach a scope on the newer 22 rifles.i guess you can say if you get one in wood brown it looks similar to an M1 grand only smaller caliber.the 22 caliber rifle is the ideal practical choice for a first time gun enthusiasts.just dont get the 30 round clips for them as they tend to jam up more so than the standard 10 round clips.for a pistol i would get a 9mm colt or something around that size for a first time shooter.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Gun Show in town this weekend. Im taking one of my buddies who has a few guns. I gonn look around and see what I can find there. Thanks for everybodys help and advice.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I own two milsurp rifles, and while very entertaining to shoot, if I just want to plink on a target, I have a 17HMR rifle. It's so much more fun to shoot than a 22. The only thing though is that mine doesn't have open sights, just a scope.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Went to the gun show and heres what I bought
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/30d4a1db8b6c.jpg[/atsimg]

No just kidding.... I actually didnt get a chance to go, kind of sucks, but we have a lot of them around here. My daughters birthday is this weekend, so I need to focus my money on that. But after that, Im gonna go pick something up.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo
If I were you id start with a .22 rifle, specifically a Ruger 10/22. Ammo is dirt cheap and light weight making it a great shtf tool also. Start with the basics.

I agree completely. First, they are inexpensive at less than $300. second, the ammo is dirt cheap. You can afford to buy 5,000 rounds without breaking the bank. Third, if it comes down to it, they are excellent for small game, so in a shtf scenario, you'd have something worthwhile. Fourth, they are relatively light and not a burden to carry. Fifth, they are one of the most reliable firearms out there.

If you want to go to the next step, something like an AR-15 is a good self-defense rifle, but your expenses for firearm and ammunition will go up dramatically. Also, your range may not be able to accommodate it where they will 99% accommodate a 10/22.

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I recommend this gun and it has little recoil. www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

go with a 22LR 702 plinkster (not tactical - the tactical costs 4x as much) from mossberg - you can get one at walmart for $117.00. In april/may timeframe mossberg is coming out with the 25round magazines. Ammo's cheap, the gun's cheap and i've got zero complaints about mine..
edit on 2-3-2011 by SirClem because: to add

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

DO NOT BUY A USED GUN WITHOUT SHOOTING IT FIRST. Take it from experience, you need to shoot the gun first for numerous reasons, but mainly because you need to be sure it will dependently shoot when you need it to

edit on 2-3-2011 by SirClem because: to add

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Opinions are like ...weel,anyway,the pictured rifle is "badass looking" as you say...I wouldnt spend my money on some 3rd world hunk of iron>JMO...I have a Springfield M1A National Match...they also make a shorty version,both in .308...with that gun,over open sights,if you can see it,you can kill it....you dont need some fantasy-land snaiper tricked out platform for a one only rifle...you need soemthing that will cover the whol spectrum from self defense to hunting for the pot...stick with the basics...iron sights dont lose their point of im when the temp changes nor do they break leaving your rifle useless....do what you want

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I can't decide between a 12 gauge, AK, or AR-15... I want one all purpose SHTF gun for defense and hunting. 12 gauge seems more versatile but the 30 round clip on the rifles seems better than a shotgun for self-defense.

I'm leaning toward AK for durability (is this really the case or is the AR-15 just as durable?), but I'm a bit mystified with all the variants, is there an especially good AK for under $1000?

(My wife is a city girl and a gun hater but after several coyote sightings she's asking me everyday when I'm getting a gun, animals freak her out).
edit on 4-3-2011 by SevenBeans because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Saiga 12 or Benelli SuperNova? Opinions?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join