It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tenn. GOP Lawmaker Credits Hooters For Success

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
only in america, or possibly not.
anyhow, i got a kick outta' this one, you'd think this would be a past a politician would hide from yet i give her credit for being so open about the whole thing.

link

A freshman Tennessee legislator credits her success in politics and business to the time she spent working at a restaurant chain known for buxom waitresses in tank tops and short shorts. Republican state Rep. Julia Hurley, 29, won her November election by knocking off the Democratic incumbent in a conservative district west of Knoxville, but she says it was while working as a "Hooter's Girl" that she began honing her business sense and networking skills. Hurley writes about it in the latest issue of the restaurant chain's Hooters magazine, and says opponents tried but failed to make her past employment and photos from her modeling career a campaign issue. "I have taken quite a bit of flack from the public at large during my run for State House in Tennessee for being a Hooters Girl," she said. "But I know that without that time in my life I would not be as strong-willed and eager to become successful." The link also became a direct benefit to her electoral bid when former regular customers made campaign contribution "without question or hesitation," she said. The article appears in the magazine's "Orange Pride Spotlight," which features "the success stories of Hooters Girls both past and present." Much of the rest of the magazine is devoted to full-page photos of women posing in bikinis and Hooters uniforms. Hurley now works as a consultant and entrepreneur. She is a Southern Baptist and a member of the National Rifle Association and the Gun Owners of America. Her House bid last year was her first run for public office, and she told The Knoxville News Sentinel during the race that her top issues included reducing illiteracy, creating jobs and filling empty retail space in her district. .

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
From linked article.

"As I grew up, there were many factors that made me keep putting off being a representative of the people including the fact that I had a daughter at the young age of 15," she wrote.

Mercy sakes I must be a late bloomer. I was still playing Cowboys and Indians at that age. I always volunteered to be an Indian since I hate guns and to this day I still enjoy running around in my underwear and screaming at the top of my lungs. Admittedly, I'm a true Liberal.

Hat tip to BH for cool emoticon.

Maybe someone can draw the obvious Hooters>Owl>Illuminati>Bohemian Grove connection.

edit on 9-2-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
you'd think this would be a past a politician would hide from yet i give her credit for being so open about the whole thing.

Sounds like a woman who has always put her best front forward.

I kind of think that a job like that would be difficult to hide, so she would have to be upfront. As long as she continues to show the public her best side, she should be successful.

"Delightfully tacky yet unrefined" ....at least Hooters is honest, which is more than I can say for politicians in general.

join