It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New app helps Catholics confess on the go

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   

New app helps Catholics confess on the go

www.cnn.com

Bless me father for I have sinned. It has been 300 tweets since my last confession.

Whether you've been "borrowing" free Wi-Fi or coveting your neighbor's avatar -- or, heaven forbid, something worse -- a new mobile app is designed to help you atone for it.

Lame tech jokes aside, the makers of "Confession: A Roman Catholic App" say their software is seriously designed to help believers with the sacrament, and to help those who have left the church take a digital step back home.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Has this society really deteriorated to the point that something as important in the Church as confession is actually a pay for app on a mobile device?

Quote from outside source:
"In Catholic teaching, the Sacrament of Penance is the method of the Church by which individual men and women may confess sins committed after baptism and have them absolved by a priest. Although it is not mandatory, the Catholic rite is traditionally conducted within a confessional box or booth. This sacrament is known by many names, including penance, reconciliation and confession (Catechism of the Catholic Church, Sections 1423-1442). While official Church publications always refer to the sacrament as "Penance", "Reconciliation" or "Penance and Reconciliation", many laypeople continue to use the term "confession" in reference to the sacrament."
End of quote from outside source. here is the link to the source of this quote: en.wikipedia.org...

Now one can text in a couple words and feel as though he/she can skip the process in the church?

Personally I see this as a travesty. Might this by itself be viewed as a sin?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 9/2/2011 by withopeneyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
The real sin and irony will come when hackers take advantage of this and get peoples confessions out into the public.

You think the email releases these days are bad, wait until we get Confessions!!

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

Omg... I read it and can’t believe it if I wasn’t in the CNN website I would call it an hoax..

My guess is the recession is knocking in god’s house and they have to do something...

Well at least I can make my peace with God by Phone

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by withopeneyes

This is a very odd application. Every confession a person makes will be stored by the phone company instead of being quite discrete words with a priest. Who can access those phone records?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
The real sin and irony will come when hackers take advantage of this and get peoples confessions out into the public.

You think the email releases these days are bad, wait until we get Confessions!!

I didn't even think of that. I'm will often times have a flippant remark on any given subject, but you made a really good statement. Can you imagine if confessional sins are actually released for public view? Confession gets into the deepest sins a person has committed.
I'm not born again, but I do go to church. I pray, and yes I go to confession. Again, I am hardly holier than thou, and never preach my faith or condemn anothers beliefs. That being said, I see no good coming from this. Basically when you look at it, you are paying to be absolved. Yes that is different than performing the sacrament.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think this application has been out for a while now?

Isn't it called FaceBook?

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
So people need an intermediary with GOD to confess to; be it smart phone or priest? That makes perfect sense!

edit on 9-2-2011 by whaaa because: sf^EFK%* code 4

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
So people need an intermediary with GOD to confess to; be it smart phone or priest? That makes perfect sense!

edit on 9-2-2011 by whaaa because: sf^EFK%* code 4

Well it takes the embarrassment out of the equation I guess. I'm trying to wrap my arms around this subject, and am having a difficult time of it. It's laughable in it's absurdity. Let's face it, there are a bunch of applications which in my opinion are downright silly. I would have to have another thread to list every app I think is a waste of time, but I won't do it here. This particular one brings religion into the equation. And we're not talking about a daily inspirational quote from the book written for the religion you choose to believe in. We're talking about a sacrement which is very important to those of the faith in question.
I'm sorry, but I grow weary of hearing how everyone is too busy to do this, and to do that. It wasn't too long ago that instead of voicemails on the fly, you had pink "While You Were Out" notes in your office mailbox - you had to go to the office to get these notes, then return calls. Then you had beepers, so you could find a payphone on the side of the road to make a call to the number which came up on your beeper. You didn't have email, you had notes in the mail, and the lucky had access to a fax. Texting? What was that? Now you can take care of the business in hand on a smart phone in the time it takes to finish your overpriced StarBucks Latte.
Working, and I mean WORKING 10+ hour days was pretty common place, often spilling into the weekends. The conveniences we take for granted today make our 'work' days laughable as compared to our relatives just a generation or two back. They worked hard, yet they still managed to find the time to do the important things. Never would my grandparents even consider 'confessing' on a tiny little 'box' with a screen and keyboard on it. No way. Sorry, but this is absolutely not needed, and insulting.
What next? Barmitzvahs via an app? Hell with a funeral, let me just hit my app and send an electronic rose to drop on the electronic casket. Marriage? Why spend the money and time when you can hit the app, click the boxes 'I Do' and be done with it - download the PDF of your Marriage Certificate.
There are some things which you just need to do the right thing.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If you read the article, you will see tis app is /not/ a substitute for confession. It is instead a tool for self-examination. It helps the faithful consider what areas they may have sinned, examine their own hearts and motives, and offers suggestions for suitable acts of contrition to help them atone for what they have done. They still must go to the priest to confess. I actually think this is a handy tool for religious people, since it is intended to help them eliminate hypocrisy and actually live what they profess to believe. And btw I am not Catholic.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I think this application has been out for a while now?

Isn't it called FaceBook?

Isn't that the website, that the police perve into your home, then writing up everything said,a nd pretending that they are doing this to criminals. Oh what a great thing facebook is, so gov and police could do such a thing.

What about if the police or gov get everything wrong on the page.

^^
This is a for instance, like how uk police do this to target anyone they want.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This hasnt been sanctioned by the catholic church and im willing to bet my nuggets it wont be.In fact i wouldnt be suprised to see this labled as blasphemy by the church.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
You can confess your sins on line. That's convenient......

marymagdalen.blogspot.com...

God help us....
edit on 9-2-2011 by whaaa because: dhg7$&jh code 4

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Not only do the Catholics have this. Muslims have this one

www.123muslim.com...

I am just wondering when Dial a Prayer, Ask A Minister, or something like a Mystic Oak for Pagans to use appears on the IPOD.

top topics

join