It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous Takes Revenge On Security Firm For Trying To Sell Supporters’ Details To FBI

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   

If you thought Anonymous limited its cyber attacks to those who blocked WikiLeaks or suppressed free information, you’d be wrong. One software security firm is learning the hard way that it also targets anyone who acts to bring down the loosely-knit, global movement of young people who campaign through Web attacks.

On Sunday evening, just when the Super Bowl was kicking off in Dallas, Texas, five supporters of Anonymous’ elite arm AnonOps brought down the Web site for HBGary Federal, a small, Washington D.C.-based security services firm.

Src: Forbes

Oh well a security firm wanted to cash in on Anonymous. As per one of his emails (search for it yourself through the links) he also wanted to sell data to FBI. Anonymous did not take it too kindly resulting in his website being hacked, his Twitter account hacked, all his email's taken and made public (link in the article) and he even got a special message from Anonymous.

2nd Article

What’s it like being the victim of an attack by Anonymous? Pretty unpleasant. Aaron Barr found that out yesterday when members of the loosely-knit online group of campaigners hacked into his Twitter account, brought down his company’s Web site and put more than 50,000 of his personal emails online.

Barr is the CEO of a tiny software security firm HBGary Federal based in Washington D.C., and had recently been perusing Facebook and IRC (chat) channels under a fake alias to gather covert research on Anonymous. Then he (sort of) took his findings public: Barr was quoted in the Financial Times a few days ago as saying he had uncovered names of senior figures of Anonymous, and denying he would deliver them to the police.

To his credit, Barr did not expect Anonymous’ reaction to be quite so ferocious. “I had expected some potential retribution,” he says. “I knew some folks would take my research as some kind of personal attack which it absolutely was not. I thought they might take down our Web site with a DDoS attack. I did not prepare for them to do what they did.”

For now Barr is working on damage control to his reputation as well as trying to make sense of what’s happened. “I just feel a bit exhausted by the whole thing,” he says. His biggest problem is the thousands of personal emails that have been released into cyberspace.

Victim Of Anonymous Attack Speaks Out: Forbes

The funniest stuff I read in the article how a security firm CEO unplugs his router to escape from Anonymous

Barr adds that Anonymous is also not quite done with him. “They’re trying to pop my home router. I’m watching IP traffic and they’re trying to get my home box,” he says. “So I just unplugged it.”

Now thats a security expert!

The press release by Anonymous leading upto these events (pretty well written and hilarious).

At the center of the onion is nothing.

edit on 7-2-2011 by Prince Of Darkness because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Same topic. More info.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DevilJin

Thanks man if mods want they can close this thread. Cheers!

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
this is awesome,,,,, epic fail for control,,,, win for the people

bet he learned a big lesson,,,, it's so nice to see the people win one,,,, i'm, smiling,,, big time

this goes with the other thread of an american company selling egypt's gov't software to spy on bloggers and tweets and shut em down

anonymous needs to pay them a visit too

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Bravo.

Another notch to the good guys.

Hope the security firm is ruined.

top topics

join