It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's how the government can spy on your internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I'm guessing thats how Egyptian government caught all those bloggers so they they kill them? This is scary, which other country does this?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Heck a 14 year old pimple covered geek scrub could spy on my internet, why wouldn't the Gubbment be able to?
Just fix that hole by not putting anything out there that you want to keep private.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Egypt locking down networks should indicate to you the primate knowledge involved and those not being able to continue the information flow should have also indicated the level of knowledge.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

So US corporations have helped them spy on the internet and maybe helped them in shutting it down? btw im not sure how they did that. I know US uses ECHELON which is much more sophisticated but for countries like Egypt to have the tech to control what their citizens say is frightening. They still will use it no matter who is in power, US will grant them access to such tech for cracking down on terrorism but the government will use it instead on preventing freedom of speech.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

They are totally stupid for using DPI; because if anyone uses HTTPS / SSL it is defeated instantly by the computer user.

I don't see why people don't use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) anyway, since any username and password sent over the internet, including your email password, is sent in "Clear Text," which anyone with a packet sniffer can read.

When you use HTTPS, the packets are encrypted and you can't "spy" on users. This is what banks and online stores use when you make a credit card transaction, to prevent capture of your credit card info and pin number.

People really are "ignorant" to this fact and it amazes me how much information they just put out there without a thought; then it gets used against them or stolen.

WAKE UP AMERICA!

FACT: Above Top Secret doesn't even have SSL / HTTPS, check for yourself by inputting:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So any username and password you are logging in with, can be read by anyone who knows how to do it. Even your own ISP could be "sniffing" your traffic if it is sent out on http. This is how they collect evidence on you when a court orders your internet traffic be examined for criminal activities; they (ISP) are acting like a legal "man in the middle" attack hackers use. And you'll never even know it, because you logon to the ISP network and it gives you authorized access to the internet, so it would be VERY EASY for them to trap and trace all of your network traffic. But now if you used HTTPS / SSL, it would throw a monkey-wrench into the equation.

Be smart and learn some more computer stuff people.
edit on 7-2-2011 by trekwebmaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

The majority of what you see, hear, read are full functional applications by a said group of people. I assumed you were already in tune with that since you are a member of ats.

Once again what is the motto of this particular web site ?

Answer at your own free and will ...!

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Data is only useful if it is arranged in bits which form "information;" but otherwise data is useless.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by trekwebmaster
reply to post by tristar

Data is only useful if it is arranged in bits which form "information;" but otherwise data is useless.

Arranged data, is something that i have not come into contact with for well over twelve years to date. Then again...i am kinda stone age.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Better yet, if you have confidential information that you wish to protect or restrict access to, never ever plug that computer into a network connection or wireless internet. Unplug and remove any ethernet card, wired and wireless, and remove any modems. If there is no "wire" or "transceiver" to send or receive information, then it can't be stolen or infringed-upon.

If you want to further protect the data, install a "removable hard drive case," which can be locked-up in a safe, in case the computer itself is stolen or compromised.

This is called "Disaster Recovery" procedures, which includes usually a duplicate set of back-ups stored in geographically separate locations.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

LOL, you sound much-like a network administrator to me...you seem to have a very "logical" physical mind-set.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by trekwebmaster
reply to post by tristar

LOL, you sound much-like a network administrator to me...you seem to have a very "logical" physical mind-set.

No..actually i enjoy bbq and steak's , its when one crosses the line that my mind becomes that , which others seek on a multiple levels.

I am only a human with human interaction. but i will and do protect my interests at all costs regardless of who and what i have at hand. Damn...i beginning to sound more like a data driven organism rather than a emotional driven carbon based organism. I guess that's a positive thing ...right ?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It's not even a secret the the government can spy in the internet. They used to use Carnivore which was replaced in 2005 with NarusInsight

A single NarusInsight machine can monitor traffic equal to the maximum capacity (10 Gbit/s) of around 39,000 DSL lines or 195,000 telephone modems. But, in practical terms, since individual internet connections are not continually filled to capacity, the 10 Gbit/s capacity of one NarusInsight installation enables it to monitor the combined traffic of several million broadband users. According to a company press release, the latest version of NarusInsight Intercept Suite (NIS) is "the industry's only network traffic intelligence system that supports real-time precision targeting, capturing and reconstruction of webmail traffic... including Google Gmail, MSN Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail, and Gawab Mail (English and Arabic versions).

edit on 7-2-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by trekwebmaster

i very much doubt that SSL encryption will stop any organized effort, regular criminals, yes, so it's better than nothing, but against a government, i wouldn't count on it.

besides, you can still perform data flow analysis, unless you use TOR or similar, so encryption doesn't make me feel very safe at all.

new topics

top topics

join