It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

is this the end of multiculturaism in britain?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   

"Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism," the Prime Minister will say. While a "passively tolerant" society allows its citizens to do what they like, so long as they do not break the law, a genuinely liberal country "believes in certain values and actively promotes them," Mr Cameron will say. "Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights, regardless of race, sex or sexuality. "It says to its citizens: This is what defines us as a society. To belong here is to believe these things. "Each of us in our own countries must be unambiguous and hard-nosed about this defence of our liberty.

That is a good speech, and I fully agree. Nowadays it is all about multiculturalism and tolerance, and it is certainly a positive thing. But there is also a line that needs to be drawn decisively - we cannot be tolerant to intolerance, or allow cultures that do not share these basic values to exist. Tolerance and multiculturalism has its limits, often overlooked in the fast transition towards multicultural and tolerant society.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
i feel this is part of a wider agenda of camerons by cozying up to merkel at the recent conference. this ties in with beefing up cyber-security (eu wide) as well as attempting to change the perceptions of the public at large. this 'big society' he is touting is falling apart at the seams as i type. i read yesterday on the bbc website that a certain county council in liverpool is withdrawing from this movement as it has no funds to implement this agenda and stated that with all the funding cuts pushed on the voluntary sector, the whole 'big society' idea is being construed as a big con.
with regards to multiculturalism, i believe it was encouraged after the second world war. it has however existed here for many hundreds of years with immigrants coming from many locations. the doublespeak as one poster put it says more about the agenda they hold. i could take what cameron said and simply say on the face of it he could be inciting intolerance. i find it sad that he has initiated this agenda where the majority of law abiding immigrants in this country are now under a form of duress.
mr cameron would not have had to start this belief of his had he put the welfare of the population before the instructions of his bosses. i feel the timing is also important with regards to what is happening in the arab states.
a global arab awakening running in parallel (and eventually at odds) with a global political awakening. chess pieces are being moved and the west imo will attempt to keep their foothold in these areas at all costs.
by influencing the masses in the uk watching tv to scrutinize their own country and values, i feel it distracts all from looking at the global situation as a whole.
another point i would like to mention regarding camerons beliefs is it seems he is happy enough to state the peoples of egypt are free to protest and that their human rights must be respected whereas on the other hand look at the protests that happened here and his silence on this spoke volumes. he also stated that he had a problem with the human rights charter and was looking into amending or repealing elements of it.
whiffs of hypocrisy come my way every time i see the 'world leaders' on pulpits.
i do feel all this is relevant to this thread.
www.liverpoolecho.co.uk...&sa= U&ei=70dNTefbJonKhAfjjKHNDg&ved=0CBsQqQIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHpKYMh0MDJjOOwamdUdNwcVKNorQ
keep everyone suspicious and in a constant state of directionless vigilance and you have a social control mechanism similar to what post war east germany and the ussr implemented.
watch for the signs of this whichever side of the fence you stand on.
regards f

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Ummmm can someone explain to me

If one country in particular happens to have a diverse cultural ethnicity, why is it any sort of issue other than xenophobia?

Alright, if a government actively persues publicly funded initiatives to somehow promote or influence these cultures, then it might certainly go tits up, and i think thats what Cameron was saying, and has since been taken largely out of context.

Is that what has failed?, the actual government policies that meddle in cultural ethnicity?

OR

is it simply the fact we have lots of different cultures[muslim and anglo saxon] and it quite simply doesnt work cause as a rule of thumb we brits are a fairly racist sort.

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Gary13

people are already kicking off over the PM's speech yesterday on multiculturaism. these people who are objecting to the changes should not be in the uk, why you may ask. put it this way, i myself want to go and live in some other country, do i just go there, or do i show respect first. how do i show respect first, before you go to any country, you should check if your beliefs and culture won't offered the people of the country you intend to go to. if you enter a country knowing that it might cause conflict, then you have no one to blame but yourself, because you are a disrespectful, arrogant, hypocrite. so if you enter into a country knowing you are not going to integrate, then you have other agendas, mainly selfish one's. i say it's down to respect for your fellow man, on how you conduct yourselves when your in someone's country, if your just going on holiday or going to live there.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join