It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto: Winner or Sinner?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Monsanto: Winner or Sinner?

www.fool.com

Is Monsanto (NYSE: MON) a winner or a sinner? Many people love to hate the agribusiness behemoth

A poll of Natural News readers recently voted Monsanto "Most Evil," soundly beating other corporate contenders such as Halliburton (NYSE: HAL) and BP (NYSE: BP). Monsanto also beat out BP and Chevron (NYSE: CVX) to receive Corporate Accountability International's Corporate Hall of Shame award for 2010

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Monsanto Tops 2010 Corporate Hall of Shame
BREAKING: In a stunning reversal, USDA Chief Vilsack Greenlights Monsanto's Alfalfa 7

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Is Monsanto a winner or a sinner?
Many people love to hate the Frankenstein behemoth.

I for one.

Got to love The Fool for taking this one on.

On top of its horrid agenda of GMO foods, onward with its unpublished motto of

No Food Shall Be Grown That We Dont Own

Monsanto has quite a sordid reputation.

As it stands, Monsanto has quite a reputation for being a bully in agriculture. A Vanity Fair article from 2008 headlined Monsanto's "Harvest of Fear," citing not only its "ruthless legal battles against small farmers" but also a "decades-long history of contamination."

Monsanto also has a dark past that's difficult to shrug off. Monsanto, Dow Chemical (NYSE: DOW), and several other chemical companies manufactured Agent Orange. The highly toxic herbicide, used in the Vietnam War, has saddled its makers with a bad reputation and numerous lawsuits related to the illnesses and horrific birth defects to which it has been linked.

Monsanto's also known to have "friends in high places," so to speak. Recent Wikileaks cables revealed U.S. diplomats angling for a trade war with Europe over genetically modified products, which are notoriously distrusted there. The U.S. allegedly also tried to pressure the Vatican to drop its moral opposition to genetic engineering.

Socially responsible?

Is the company a winner or a sinner?

www.fool.com...

I'm sure there will be plenty of rebuttals to my take on Monsanto."

Oh yeah plenty!

Dont miss the comments section...laugh of the day.

www.fool.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Sinner all the way. Their business and testing practices are despicable and should be outlawed. They're killing real food, disrupting the food chain, and taking away our choices. Perfect picture for what they're doing to us.
edit on 2/4/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Their business practices remind me of the church of scientology...

sue sue sue...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Well said.

And now that they are green lighted by the USDA with their new Alfalfa 7, they just went into
the land of permanent darkness, IMO.

Meat or dairy and we indirectly consume alfalfa.

Alfalfa is a leading source of hay for cattle.

In terms of acreage, alfalfa is the United States’ fourth biggest crop behind corn, soybeans, and wheat.

Notoriously promiscuous its pollen can be carried by bees and other insects for five miles, making it all but certain that the GMO crop - designed to survive applications of Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide, will contaminate much of the country’s conventional alfalfa.

Because GMO products are not allowed in USDA certified foods, it could become all but impossible to produce organic milk and meat in many areas unless organic farmers switch to less desirable sources of forage.

Thanks Monsanto!

The comments section of this article are awesome!

Apparently some Monsanto goon is on there already blaming another "evil" corp
for Monsantos own sins.

Oh...this is great!

I am going to get all the goodies here.

Vanity Fair - Monsanto's Harvest of Fear
www.vanityfair.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
There is not a single multi-national corporation on the planet that doesn't wear both hats.

The bible says no one sin is greater however.

Monsanto has help bring the end of life on this planet through their profit motivated manipulations of nature.

Peace

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by pianopraze

Yep, aside from the evils of their GMO foods, the fact that they go after that small farmer,
and sue when they are the guilty one in contaminating the whole earth, makes them
exceedingly wicked.

David Vs Monsanto - Bring Your Kleenexes

edit on 4-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Most definitely a winner at being a sinner....as for the runner ups...just reading the names
says it all.

Monsanto used the saying, "Better living through chemistry". Anybody out there remember
the plastic house at Disneylands home of the Future? It all started with plastics....

Monsanto has been with us for longer than anyone wants to admit, pushing it's way into every nook and cranny of our lives...becoming basically invisible to most that use their products without question. Now...when it is time to speak against their practices, most still remain apathetic, unable to decide how to get rid of them and their brothers in crime.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Another noteworthy item to consider is the number of former and future Monsanto employees are making food and drug safety policy decision on behalf of the American people.... let alone the world.

.... and if you really want to get technical and intrusive... the number of public officials who have family-members or associates which are affiliated with - if not working directly for - Monsanto and her corporate children.

Take a look at the board members.... the members of Monsanto who are on influential quasi-governmental groups like the CFR, government think-tank associates, or research 'institution' members..... it's quite a tangled web ....

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I watched a documentry about the horrors of GM foods. I gotta say, there was alot of speculation and leaps in conclusions. It made me realize the documentry was saying that because there are some unknowns, the unknowns therefore are known to be bad.

I would say winner. I do think more research by independent scientists should be researching GM foods, but I failed to see the evils of monsanto during this 2 flipping hour brainwashing documentry.

I did go in with a skeptical mind of course, I was highly dismissive of anything not grounded in fact...and came out still feeling the same.

I also did the same about a documentry about how hiv is not the cause of aids...I came out of that documentry truely questioning the hiv = aids things however...so don't mistake skeptical approach to ignoring.

Is there any peer reviewed articles about monsanto that is showing any disaster towards humanity, or is it 100% small farmer lobbiests conspiracy theorys spread to the masses through assumptions and speculation on the unknowns...

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

There are various degrees of punishments that await...
In my humble opinion.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
is there any peer reviewed articles about monsanto that is showing any disaster towards humanity,

source 1
source 2

Russian scientists discovered that lab animals became sterile within three generations. BTS has that link.

And I don't believe Monsanto's papers supporting GMO are peer reviewed.

However there are peer reviewed papers saying GMOs are safe. According to this website.

The scientists who submit papers against GMO are apparently not able to work afterwords and receive considerable personal hazing, break-in's, theft of research etc... so take that into account also.

top topics

join