It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with machete please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I've had this machete for a few weeks now but still can't figure out how its supposed to attach to the person.

I'm sure its very simple so would someone please be kind enough to explain how it attaches?

Also, any tips on shaperning would be grealty appreciated, esspecialy regarding the curved end.

I have a sharpening steel and a ceramic rod.

Thanks
edit on 1-2-2011 by Beyond Creation because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hmm looks like a standard military pistol belt attachment., but dunno why it is facing upwards.. Does that piece turn horizontally? As far as sharpening, that can be an art unto itself, try googling "sharpening a machete". From what I have read in the past, one of the best ways to sharpen those is with a "bastard file", not sure what kind though. There are some demonstrations on youtube.

Deebo
edit on 1-2-2011 by Deebo because: Edited to add

edit on 1-2-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Beyond Creation

My guess is it's meant to attack to a pistol belt.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It's a standard older type attachment point for a military pistol belt.

Just pinch a pistol belt into a U and attach to the outside of the belt threading the ends of each point through the eyelets.

Once you have it on there it should be fairly self explanatory. However, I would never attach a machete to a set of web gear. It would only get all tangled up as you fire and maneuver. Usually a machete is carried on the side of ones molle or alice pack tying the end down to the sides with a piece of 550.

I bet it’s about the perfect size for that in fact I bet it was made for the old ALICE packs.

If I remember correctly this is the same as the old bayonets in the way it attaches.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Why do you have/need a machete?

link   
Turning it 45° makes a lot more sense as a belt attachment, which I did initially try but on a normal 'jean' belt that obviously didn't work due to the difference in dimension to that of a 'pistol belt' - which I assume is a little wider.

After reading some of your comments, however, I will have to reconsider using the belt attachment, but at least I understand it so thank you all for your help.

On another note, I'm considering purchasing this crossbow..

outdoorhobbies.co.uk...

What are your thoughts regarding the draw weight etc given that its intended use is for a survival situation and what bolts would you recommend.

Peace

link   

edit on 1-2-2011 by Beyond Creation because: dp

CX

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'm no expert on crossbows, but at £60 i'd maybe see if you could wait a while and get a better one.

As for the self cocking action on that one, i've never seen that before but it doesn't look very safe....the crossbow looks like it bends in half.

CX.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

Simply, because man uses tools.

I do not intend to use it as a weapon, I can use my body for this, but I can't clear a path or an overgrown area with such ease without a tool.

Why do you ask?

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

To be fair, I'm not sure of what the selling point is on the apparently 'rubber' part of it, maybe for transit?

The self-cocking is what drew me to it, not that I'm weak or lazy, just saw it as a convenience.

I'm still not sure but thanks for checking it out.

Peace.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

More moving parts is more things that can break. I'd go with a normal one if i were you.

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Just being safe. You never know who is looking for real advice and who is a crazy person trying to shoot kids for smashing his "pukkins"

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
with the horizontal link like that i think it is for a back pack shoulderstrap. It links like the pistol belt but is verticle so you can still wear it upright and draw if necessary. Good start for the zombie apocolypse!

i just wanted to edit and say its for a military style assault pack, 72hour or longer. I say that because i have one thats how i know
edit on 1-2-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: (no reason given)

re-edit to say that is how i use it and what i use it with. They are applicable with different gear for different situations and I dont want to sound like a know-it-all.

By the way, people will question all of your motives for having weapons, just make sure they are good reasons or you are willing to back up the questionables with reason and you will do fine in all situations.
edit on 1-2-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join