It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need help working on a Mac Book pro

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
My roommate has a 2007 Mac Book pro, and I'm trying to install Leopard 10.5 on his machine so I can install Snow leopard 10.6. I have a 2009 Sony Vaio AW290, I have 10.5 and 10.6 burned on my computer I copied them both to 8.5G DL DVDR's. His computer will not detect 10.5 it will detect 10.6 but I can't do anything with it. I'm not a huge fan of current technology and have tried to stay away from gaining too much knowledge on the subject but I guess I'll have to change that for now. Can anyone here help me out?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Silverado292

try burning 10.5 again. may be a corrupted burn

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
IIRC, a 2007 macbook pro uses the PowerPC architecture, which OSX 10.6 is incompatible with. The 10.5 should work with it, but you may need a version specific to PPC.

Edit: Also, you most likely wouldn't have to install 10.5 first before installing 10.6 if he has compatible hardware.

Dunno why you'd want to use a mac anyways

edit on 28-1-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by warbird03

I'm not a Mac fan with the exception of the Ipod and if it's made in the same place they make the Iphone I won't be a fan of that any longer, my roommate drank the Kool-Aid on that. I found one 10.5 PPC bit it's almost half the size as well 4.33 Gb vs 7.51 Gb.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

By the way, do you know if it has an Intel processor or not? That would tell us if you can use 10.6 on it. If you don't know, you could post the model number or serial number and I can try to look it up for you.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I'm not entirely sure, I don't think he is either here is the serial numberW8703026X6C. Also thanks for the help.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

It does actually have an Intel processor, which means you won't need the PPC version of 10.5, and 10.6 should work just fine. Only reason I can think of that the 10.5 disc wouldn't install is the disc didn't burn properly. I would suggest re-downloading the files and re-burning it.

Edit: And by the way, it's actually a 2006 as detailed here.
edit on 28-1-2011 by warbird03 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

you should be able to determine the hardware configuration here:
www.apple.com...

model number, processor type, screen size, etc...

hope this helps.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Cool I'll give that a shot, should I burn it at max speed or slower I've heard conflicitng things on that the current copies are burnt at max speed which I think was 8x's.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

A lower burn speed will usually give less of a chance of errors.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Another question I have is if I didn't have anything to do with it not copying correctly. I just dragged the files and dropped them straight into my BD-ROM drive.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Thank you for that I've bookmarked that page for further reference.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Which files? Is it a .iso file?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Yes it has a full ISO image on it.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Simply copying the file to a disk wont get you anywhere then. I'd recommend using something like this to burn the .iso to a disk.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
In Mac OS X go to Applications then click Utilities and open Disk Utility.

Then at the top of the screen on the taskbar select File then Open Disk Image. Find the .ISO on your system and select it. You should then see it listed in the Disk Utility program. Now click on the ISO in the list on the left side of the program. Now select the Burn icon and it will allow you to burn the ISO to disk so it will work.

Apple makes it complicated much lol.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

I'm burning it on a Vaio then installing it on the pro book so that way won't work for me. I have 8 mins left on the burn so then I'll find out what happens when I put it in the Mac.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I'm now able to get the Mac to read the discs. I get the OSX installer menu and when I select install it tells me I need to restart the computer to complete the install. I click the restart option it gives me, it will restart the computer I will log in an nothing else will happen. I've tried this several times now and have given it a few minutes to see if anything will happen, when I go to click on the icon again it will send me through the same process again. Do I need to have his computer connected to the Internet for any reason to do this?

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
You might want to try to do a clean install here is a guide blog.jeff-owens.com...

If that doesn't work maybe something is wrong with your copy of the installation disc.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TinFoilHatMan55

Thanks for that info I'll have to try that on his computer at a later date as I've been trying to get this stuff installed all day and I'm done for now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join