It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ugandan gay rights activist bludgeoned to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
A very sad state of affairs is unfolding in Uganda.

Kampala, Uganda (CNN) -- A Ugandan gay rights activist whose name was published on a list of the nation's "top homosexuals" was bludgeoned to death in his home near the capital, his lawyer said Thursday.

A neighbor found David Kato dead and notified authorities, according to the lawyer, John Onyango.

Kato's money and some clothes were missing after the attack, Onyango said.

It was unclear whether Kato's killing was linked to his gay rights activism or a front-page story in a Ugandan tabloid that reignited anti-gay sentiments late last year.

The story included a list of "top 100 homosexuals" with their photos, addresses and a banner with the words "Hang Them." Kato's name and picture were on the list.

The rest of the article may be read here.

I am completely disgusted by this. Uganda for a few years now has been trying to get it's "Kill the Gay's" bill passed and due to international pressure have shelved it. It seemed the violence was beginning to subside, but apparently not.

And just so you know what kind of mentality we are dealing with..

The editor of the Rolling Stone, the tabloid that published the list, denounced the attacks and said he sympathized with the victim's family.

"When we called for hanging of gay people, we meant ... after they have gone through the legal process," said Giles Muhame. "I did not call for them to be killed in cold blood like he was."

Bear in mind the Rolling Stones reference is NOT the music one, it's seperate.

Thoughts?

~Keeper

edit on 1/27/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/27/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

The killers should be hung

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

My personal opinion is that it is disgusting that somebody is murdered, apparently because of who he may or may not be naturally sexually attracted to, and that the murder was intentionally or unintentionally encouraged and validated by government officials and media organisations in the country.

We get a lot of Islamophobic threads and comments on ATS, with posters, intellectually dishonestly, wringing their hands about how ''they'' treat homosexuals and women in ''their'' countries.

Yet, as soon as a predominantly Christian country displays these attitudes, then the silence is tangible.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Me thinks that the people that should be hanged or bludgeoned to death are the idiots that penned the 100 list and the people in Uganda that are so homophobic that they resort to murder.

Disgusting.

No excuse could ever justify this and no justification could ever make this right.

RIP...David Kato.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

You want to see what i have been through in uk, and you call uganda 3rd world, lol. There are no human rights in uk too.

Amazing.

top topics

join