It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New radio telescope array to harness power of more than 13,000 antennas!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

An innovative new radio telescope array under construction in central New Mexico will eventually harness the power of more than 13,000 antennas and provide a fresh eye to the sky. The antennas, which resemble droopy ceiling fans, form the Long Wavelength Array, designed to survey the sky from horizon to horizon over a wide range of frequencies.
The University of New Mexico leads the project, and NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., provides the advanced digital electronic systems, which represent a major component of the observatory.

Source

Well I remember when the first protype was being talked about in building a LWA (long wavelength array telescope)now we have a official working model to use.

They will be able to receive high resolution images within a space that is 100 times larger than a full moon,possibly receiving radio waves from other worlds and cosmic phenomena (i.e.-celestial flash,flashes can be anything from explosions on surfaces of nearby stars, deaths of distant stars, exploding black holes, or even perhaps transmissions by other civilizations.")

"transmissions from other civilizations" they say,well tell that to s.e.t.i. and ask them about their luck so far.it is only my opinion that I think it is foolish to think that another civilization would simply and solely transmit on the radio spectrum exclusively

I would love contact with other worlds,I just do not necessarily think it will be through transmissions. I do think it will be interesting to see what we can find.The most intriguing aspect of the article I found was as follows:

The new Long Wavelength Array will operate in the radio-frequency range of 20 to 80 megahertz, corresponding to wavelengths of 15 meters to 3.8 meters (49.2 feet to 12.5 feet). These frequencies represent one of the last and most poorly explored regions of the electromagnetic spectrum

hoping we are able to explore and find wonderful new things yet known or experienced.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception
"transmissions from other civilizations" they say,well tell that to s.e.t.i. and ask them about their luck so far.it is only my opinion that I think it is foolish to think that another civilization would simply and solely transmit on the radio spectrum exclusively
Interesting article, thanks.

Well there is optical SETI, and that's not looking on the radio spectrum, right?

And your OP is about another spectrum besides what SETI has been using, right?

And if you've got any better ideas, what are they?

Sure SETI may or may not ever be successful, but what's the alternative?

Seems to me like it's wait for someone else to come here or build a spacecraft to go there and we don't have the technology for the latter yet, and the former sounds pretty boring, so at least SETI can help keep us from getting bored while we're waiting!

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Well I just wanted to point out regardless even if it is better than nothing that seti has not (at least seti is not admitting to discovering any kind of alien signal ) found a signal of an "alien" intelligence or civilization.

I am not sure the exact differences between the wavelengths and I do appreciate the effort on their part if only I actually thought they would find something(or admit it in the first place) or to the fact I think they are b.s. in my opinion.let by goners,be by goners and to each their own.I personally feel it is closer to a front than anything else.

the real meat n potatoes will remain elsewhere,hidden behind locked doors and the key thrown away until there may be no other option to disclose any received information relating to aliens and et civilization's.

I was pointing out that this new long wavelength telescope is going to be very powerful and the ability to search within a broader range of electromagnetic/visible light spectrum's is the real clincher of the article for me.
I do not necessarily think we are looking in the wrong places,they are just looking with the wrong equipment and most importantly...The wrong spectrum.

I appreciate your input and agree with some of your points.
any progress that can be made to enlighten humanity further is good in my book

edit on 31-1-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

join